• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Visual Studio - 32 bit browser on 64 bit machine

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Visual Studio - 32 bit browser on 64 bit machine

According to the wisdom of the internet you just change the platform to x86 but unfortunately this does not work, the browser is still 64bit whether added at design or run time. Try and use Silverlight or Flash in the webpage and you get pop ups that tell you. Tried VS2005 and VS2008/2010 Express editions.

Brill solutions? Ta.

PS In good old VB6 you could select specific DLLs and stuff. Progress! Bah!
    Last edited by xoggoth; 18 January 2011, 13:12.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    According to the wisdom of the internet you just change the platform to x86 but unfortunately this does not work, the browser is still 64bit whether added at design or run time. Try and use Silverlight or Flash in the webpage and you get pop ups that tell you. Tried VS2005 and VS2008/2010 Express editions.

Brill solutions? Ta.

PS In good old VB6 you could select specific DLLs and stuff. Progress! Bah!
    Can't you just open the 32bit IE and copy and paste the url from the 64bit version?

Edit: Or change the default browser to the 32bit IE. Doesn't changing the platform just change what platform you're compiling for?

Comment

What "browser" do you mean?
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Cheers for replies. Sorry, not v clear obviously. I am using a webbrowser object in a .net prog developed in VS2005, VS2008 Express or VS2010 Express. Tried them all.

Compile and debug target the current machine by default but should be forced to target a 32 bit machine if you select target of x86. Unfortunately, as far as the webbrowser object selection is concerned anyway, they do not.

The default browser for the machine generally is 32 bit IE. Have .net 4 which is supposed to have addressed the problem and have downloaded all 64x updates, none of those work either. Changing existing registry settings is really not an option as this will be a commercial prog.
        Last edited by xoggoth; 18 January 2011, 16:15.
        bloggoth

John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

I just tried creating a Winforms C++ .NET project in VS2005, added a browser object and it ran as 32-bit with Flash working (on Windows 7 x64). Then I tried the same in VS2010, and it did the same. I'm not sure how to get it to be 64-bit TBH.

I suppose I could try C# as well, but that involves walking downstairs to my laptop.

Comment

Okay forget that. Tried with VS2005 and C# Winforms on Win7 x64, and with the platofrm target set as "Any CPU" I get a 64-bit EXE and 64-bit browser and no flash. With it set to x86, I get a 32-bit EXE, 32-bit browser, and Flash works fine.

I think it's you. Is it definitely still a 64-bit process (i.e. does it say *32 in task manager?)

Comment

Cheers, very useful, must be summit in my machine. Just been all through it again in VS2005 and VS2008 Express and set platform x86 but still getting a 64bit browser and exe is 64 bit in task manager. Export template and all the mimetypes in Resources.resx say base64.

Apart from select x86 platform is anything else needed? The platform settings are showing as x86 on debug/build but obviously they don't work.
              bloggoth

Comment

Ah sorted (ie moved onto to next problem) by manually editing the vbproj file and adding <PlatformTarget>x86</PlatformTarget> as here:

Issues When Using Microsoft Visual Studio 2005

Cheers VectraMan, you gave me the clue it was the whole darn thing that was overbitted and not just the browser object so did a more relevant search.
                bloggoth

Comment

Working...
                X