• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Zen and the art of SQL

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Joe Celko is probably the best known author for that sort of stuff.

eg.
    SQL for Smarties
    SQL Puzzles

These books are pretty much along the lines asked for.

Comment

SQL Cookbook

Comment

Originally posted by Alceste View Post
        Your question is strikingly similar to some of the reviews here Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Art of SQL
        Bingo, that's exactly it. Between the Cookbook and this that should sort me out - it's like the Cookbook shows you all the scales and chords, and this book shows you how to make music with them.

Cheers,

Tony

Comment

Originally posted by Twilkes View Post
          Bingo!...this book shows you how to make music with them.
          No. I have that book (Art of SQL), and it is more to do with practical implementation and efficiency, so more like setting your speakers up.

It is quite useful and interesting, but not what you originally asked for (thinking in SQL), though it has a chapter or so on that sort of thing.

Celko's "SQL Puzzles & Answers" (which I mentioned and also have) is aimed at solving real world problems, and provides multiple drafts of the solution attempts so you can see the thinking along the way.

I don't have his SQL for Smarties, which I believe is for pushing your SQL thinking to advanced level.

The Cookbook is good though, and if you or anyone reading this has an MSSQL focus, look at the T-SQL cookbook which influenced it, and the MS Press Inside T-SQL series.
          Last edited by Clever Hans; 14 January 2011, 19:07. Reason: I'm anal.

Comment

Working...
          X