• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BT Vision vs Sky

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Alf W View Post
    Anyone here subscribe to the BT Vision service? I currently have Sky and the BT Vision service seems to be about £30 per month less than the Sky equivalent (before "I'm leaving" deals are struck). I can't really see the catch so would be interested in any opinions or experience.

My only slight reservation might be that the broadband service I get runs at around 4Mb so I'm not sure how well the BT service would cope with that.

Views?
    I moved from the SKY HD package to the BT Vision service at the start of last year. My motivation was primarily the poor broadband service I was getting from SKY as well as the fact that I wasn't using all the SKY channels much. Took a bit of getting used to but am now perfectly happy with the BT service and have no desire to go back to SKY. I do however subscribe to Sky sports 1 and 2 via the BT add on service.

I pay for 10mb broadband but in reality I don't think I get more than 4.5mb given how far I am away from the nearest BT exchange. Not had any issue with the BT Vision service due to this so it works fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
      LoveFilm advertise streaming movies. I rarely watch TV and can't be arsed renting movies even to copy them but the idea of streaming them does appeal. Problem is how good is the quality on a 6.5Mb connection, how much bandwidth will it use?

Anybody used this service yet?
      we've got a 3mb (at best) broadband and the streaming quality is fair. Not quite up to upscaled DVD quality but good enough for an impulse watch.
      Did have one instance of a film freezing and then refusing to play after 45 minutes, just as I was getting in to it

Interestingly Amazon are going after LoveFilm
      Amazon targets Lovefilm in £200m deal - Telegraph
      Coffee's for closers

Comment

I have BT Vision. been a SKY & Virgin customer previously. it does exactly what it does on the tin.

for 1499 a month I get Kids Pack (great for 3 yro) and movie pack (which is crap to be honest) and replay, lots of daytime channels and ESPN, but SKY sports is extra.

I suppliment it with a blockbuster mail thing, overall, very happy
        Cloud Computing - Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

The problem with BT is that if it works you are fine. If something goes wrong you then have to deal with the worst customer service in the world. Be prepared to sit on the phone for ever, go through lot of press 1 for that 2 for this then be conected to someone who can't help you and has to transfer you to another deplartment and then you get cutoff etc etc. You will also need to move your broadband over to them to use BT Vision so make sure you are out of contract with your existing broadband provider.

Comment

Originally posted by davetza View Post
            The problem with BT is that if it works you are fine. If something goes wrong you then have to deal with the worst customer service in the world. Be prepared to sit on the phone for ever, go through lot of press 1 for that 2 for this then be conected to someone who can't help you and has to transfer you to another deplartment and then you get cutoff etc etc. You will also need to move your broadband over to them to use BT Vision so make sure you are out of contract with your existing broadband provider.
            I take it you have never called SKY........
            "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Comment

Originally posted by Waldorf View Post
              Or Virgin........................

Or Tiscali....................

They are all as bad as each other. They spend absolutely no money on their customer service and it seems they only provide it because they legally have to.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Waldorf View Post
                I actually found Sky support quite good. They normally answer the phone within a reasonable time and the person you speak to can normalyl help you. Maybe I was just lucky.

Comment

Originally posted by davetza View Post
                  I actually found Sky support quite good. They normally answer the phone within a reasonable time and the person you speak to can normalyl help you. Maybe I was just lucky.
                  WHS. I had a problem with a new viewing card a couple of years ago, and they were very helpful.
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                  X