• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Time Machine backup size

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Durbs View Post
    Have bought a little Iomega StorCenter iX2 2TB NAS box (which i'm chuffed with and would recommend to anyone after some network storage) and have set up Time Machine on both Macs.
    Remembered posting this just after i'd got the Storcenter and it originally seemed good. Just writing a letter to Iomega to get my money back after a couple of months use though so thought i'd re-post to say DONT buy one.

Much noisyness, plenty slowness, general tulipness.

Comment

Remembered posting this just after i'd got the Storcenter and it originally seemed good. Just writing a letter to Iomega to get my money back after a couple of months use though so thought i'd re-post to say DONT buy one.

Much noisyness, plenty slowness, general tulipness.
      What went wrong with it? Unreliability or lack of functionality?
      Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
        What went wrong with it? Unreliability or lack of functionality?
        Combination of noise, and i mean NOISE (its upstairs and is audible in the lounge when its at full speed) and a ridiculously slow read/write speed over the network.

As an example a large folder of photos copies from my laptop to a share on one of my old slow Windows machines over the network in 25 mins. If the same network cable is unplugged from the PC and plugged into the StorCenter the same copy takes 4hrs+. Similar performance from any of my Macs or PC's.

It initially seemed a good bit of kit that i could iron out the issues with but after trying all sorts of tweaks and seeing lots of reports of users frustrated by the same thing I gave up.

Comment

Combination of noise, and i mean NOISE (its upstairs and is audible in the lounge when its at full speed) and a ridiculously slow read/write speed over the network.

As an example a large folder of photos copies from my laptop to a share on one of my old slow Windows machines over the network in 25 mins. If the same network cable is unplugged from the PC and plugged into the StorCenter the same copy takes 4hrs+. Similar performance from any of my Macs or PC's.

It initially seemed a good bit of kit that i could iron out the issues with but after trying all sorts of tweaks and seeing lots of reports of users frustrated by the same thing I gave up.
          A colleague just told me that even though his Iomega external drive was supposedly formatted for Mac, when using it for Time Machine it was deadly slow. Reformatting it did the trick.

Still noisy though.
          Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

If you grab a copy of TimeMachineEditor you can customise the backup schedules for yourself (it's free).

Small footprint, dead easy to use and doesnt need any interaction onces you've set up your schedule.

I use it on my MacBook so it only takes one backup per day at a set time.
            "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Working...
            X