• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Web Design in Ubuntu

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Web Design in Ubuntu

Using Kompozer which is good for basic tables but I want to put stuff in tables and it's hell to manipulate images in tables - that's not tables are for, I know! - looking like crazy for a solution.

Are there any easy to use programs out there for linux?

Eclipse surely has some plugins, but are you looking for something for use by a software developer, or purely visual drag/drop design?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Drag/Drop design for me!

Comment

Originally posted by larry View Post
        Drag/Drop design for me!
        Are you sure Linux is the best OS for you?
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Good question! I've been offered a 'copy' of Dreameaver, which is available for Windows. Think I'll have to go dual-boot.....

Comment

I am not quite sure I understand quite what you are trying to achieve here.

But, If you are trying to display many images in HTML tables I would be tempted to write a PHP script which read the directory index and built the HTML automatically.

But some other Wysiwyg editors on LINUX are:

-Bluefish Bluefish Editor : Home
            -Aptana Aptana
            -Sea-Monkey The SeaMonkey® Project
            -Quatana Quanta Plus Home

Comment

Originally posted by larry View Post
              Good question! I've been offered a 'copy' of Dreameaver, which is available for Windows. Think I'll have to go dual-boot.....
              Just install VirtualBox (VirtualBox), then Windows, and install DW in that. Dual booting is a PITA

Comment

Why are you using Linux to do web dev, if you cannot even hand-code HTML?

Talk about doing it the hard way.

By the sound of it, "put stuff in tables" means you are using table markup for layout, which is such a bad idea Larry.

Sorry. I don't wish to sound narky, but if you want a Dreamweaver-like WSYWIG web buiding tool, or FrontPage, then go just with Windows.

If you're doing basic web dev in Linux, just use a LAMP stack and your editor of choice - BlueFish (as mentioned above) is a good one, or God forbid, vim.

Learn the markup language, not the tool you use to make it.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
                  Sorry. I don't wish to sound narky, but if you want a Dreamweaver-like WSYWIG web buiding tool, or FrontPage, then go just with Windows.
                  What bogeyman said (but please not FrontPage).

If you want something legit rather than "a copy", there is other stuff out there. One of my customers who is fairly PC illiterate has knocked up a nice looking web site very quickly with Xara Web Designer 6. On offer at 39 quid at the moment and at that price I am tempted even though I don't need it at the moment. 30 days free trial available.
                  Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Use vi.

It's the future of web development.
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                    X