• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Xmas Present. XBox 360 or PS3?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Xmas Present. XBox 360 or PS3?

Ok, I want an XBox 360 or a PS3. Plusses and minuses on both grounds.

I quite fancy a PS3 because of the "Cell" processor and Blu-Ray drive. However hardly any software has been/will be written that fully exploits this.

What does the esteemed forum recommend?

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post

I quite fancy a PS3 because of the "Cell" processor and Blu-Ray drive. However hardly any software has been/will be written that fully exploits this.

PS3

Blu-ray
    Iplayer
    ITV player (coming very soon)
    4OD (coming very soon)
    Lovefilm streaming (£10 a month for unlimited movies, although only a small selection so far)
    Playstation Network movie rentals
    HD video streaming from a media server

and occasionally, when the wife is out or asleep, it's used to play games
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

From experience with my two lads, they got whichever one the majority of their friends have - because playing online is the big thing and, as I understand it, you can't play against people on different platforms/networks. If you have any friends, ask them which one they have. (This may not be important to you though.)

Comment

I'm a PS3 guy, always have been, I find the XBox controllers too bulky to handle but this online review seems to say the XBox is better (although written in 2007)
        The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

My 2 boys have both an XBox and PS3 (yes i know, their spoilt) and we had this conversation and they say the issue with PS3 is when in a game you can only speak to people playing that particular game and no one else however on the box they can talk to all their freinds regardless of which game their playing

Comment

PS3 for Me!

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post

I originally went for the PS3 because you could dual boot it with Yellow Dog LINUX which was fun for a while. A recent SONY firmware upgrade stops me doing that now

On the plus side watching BBC iPlayer on the PS3 and large screen TV is excellent. As a BluRay player it takes a lot of beating too.

Comment

Originally posted by Support Monkey View Post
              My 2 boys have both an XBox and PS3 (yes i know, their spoilt) and we had this conversation and they say the issue with PS3 is when in a game you can only speak to people playing that particular game and no one else however on the box they can talk to all their freinds regardless of which game their playing
              Makes more sense to only talk to people in the game you are playing, why would you want to talk to someone playing another game?

Comment

Originally posted by kandr View Post
                Makes more sense to only talk to people in the game you are playing, why would you want to talk to someone playing another game?
                They are teenagers they don't apply logic to the issue, there in the age of communication they want to speak to everyone all the time, on the PS3 they have to go to the chatroom to talk on the XBox they can talk to anyone at anytime.

of course if you have no friends it not an issue.

Comment

PS3++

Comment

Originally posted by xchaotic View Post
                    PS3++
                    Some reasons might help otherwise its a waste of time.

Comment

Working...
                    X