• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Which Mi-Fi?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which Mi-Fi?

I plan to go down the Wi-Fi route for my smartphone, Kindle, etc., purchases in the near future, rather than having separate 3g connections for each device. Usually I connect these to the outside world using either the home Wi-Fi or free public Wi-Fi hotspots, but occasionally these aren't available, hence I want a 3G (or equivalent) connection for occasional use. A wireless modem (Mifi) that I can connect to via Wi-Fi seems ideal. But which Mi-Fi device?

e.g. Unlocked Wireless Modem Huawei E585: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

For flexibility, I do not want a cabled (e.g. USB) connection from modem to device, it must be a Wi-Fi connection.

An unlocked modem would allow an option of carrier, so which carrier would be the next question. Bearing in mind only occasional use is needed, and preferably the data plan would would 'proper PAYG', rather than 'rip-off PAYG', which isn't PAYG (<rant>needs to be topped up every month and you lose unused credit, what a rip-off those deals are </rant>).

For 3G coverage in built up areas I'd recommend 3, their speeds seem to be the quickest, and their even faster than most public wifi networks
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Depending on the phone you use you may be able to save the cost of the extra device. A jailbroken iPhone can be set up to work as a MiFi device off the back of the unlimited data bundles you normally get with them or if you are replacing an iPhone with an HTC Desire for example you could keep the phone on payg as your mifi device. Unlock as well it and you can swap 3g services to whatever is cheapest.
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
        Depending on the phone you use you may be able to save the cost of the extra device. A jailbroken iPhone can be set up to work as a MiFi device off the back of the unlimited data bundles you normally get with them or if you are replacing an iPhone with an HTC Desire for example you could keep the phone on payg as your mifi device. Unlock as well it and you can swap 3g services to whatever is cheapest.
        Interesting, though I don't have a mobile phone contract.

I'm hitting a brick wall trying to find out how this MiFi thing is priced for PAYG, specifically on the 3 network. The sim and top-ups I've read about either place restrictions on use on a modem ("Internet is not for use as a modem") or are on a contract basis. I just want to pay a known amount of money for a known amount of data (proper PAYG). I don't want to pay x amount, only to discover it has disappeared at the end of the month even if I didn't use it.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
          Interesting, though I don't have a mobile phone contract.

I'm hitting a brick wall trying to find out how this MiFi thing is priced for PAYG, specifically on the 3 network. The sim and top-ups I've read about either place restrictions on use on a modem ("Internet is not for use as a modem") or are on a contract basis. I just want to pay a known amount of money for a known amount of data (proper PAYG). I don't want to pay x amount, only to discover it has disappeared at the end of the month even if I didn't use it.
          Ah well, I just opened a chat session with 3 to try to get to the bottom of their 'PAYG' charges. It turns out my suspicions were correct, the PAYG payments only last a month before they expire and you lose all your money. Unbelievable, and hardly believable what they do is legal.

Are there no providers who charge only for the data you actually use?

Comment

Ah well, I just opened a chat session with 3 to try to get to the bottom of their 'PAYG' charges. It turns out my suspicions were correct, the PAYG payments only last a month before they expire and you lose all your money. Unbelievable, and hardly believable what they do is legal.

Just buy a £10 1GB top up as and when you need it, you don't have to top up every month and topups should be active immediately, you won't have to wait 24 hours for it to take effect.
            Just watch out though > 3 months of inactivity and most mobile providers will cancel the SIM card

As for legality... you're paying to use their service for a period of time, up to a maximum amount of data. Their tariff information is quite clear in that respect, I'm surprised you had to phone them.

As for why they do it
            A) increase revenues
            b) simplify accounting and reduce liabilities
            Coffee's for closers

Comment

Mind you, in the Amazon advert it says:

# Unlocked to work with any SIM card
              # Use with or without contract
              http://www.amazon.co.uk/Unlocked-Wir...5754254&sr=8-2
              Whatever that means. Any sim card? I don't see any mobile companies offering PAYG for Mifi without a contract. How does that work? The nearest looked like 3 will their 'PAYG', which is no such thing. I'll stick to WiFi, it's a lot simpler and cheaper.

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                Just buy a £10 1GB top up as and when you need it, you don't have to top up every month and topups should be active immediately, you won't have to wait 24 hours for it to take effect.
                Just watch out though > 3 months of inactivity and most mobile providers will cancel the SIM card

As for legality... you're paying to use their service for a period of time, up to a maximum amount of data. Their tariff information is quite clear in that respect, I'm surprised you had to phone them.

As for why they do it
                A) increase revenues
                b) simplify accounting and reduce liabilities
                As I understand it, if I buy £10 top up and don't use it (or perhaps use it once to activate it, I don't know the precise details of how this works having never used it), then I've lost my £10 at the end of the month, which is precisely what I want to avoid.

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                  Yes, that was another thing I was wary about, if I'd ever discovered where that information was hiding. All I want is a PAYG scheme that doesn't have any nonsense. Just PAYG, you pay for what you use, not for what you don't use.

Like with my mobile phone, with Virgin. I use that phone about once a year (usually just to make sure it still works) and have no problems with the SIM being deactivated or the credit disappearing. I still have about a £1 of the original credit on it, from about 5 years ago when I bought it.

Comment

Working...
                  X