• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Which OS for remote desktop (+vpn)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which OS for remote desktop (+vpn)

I have to get the following setup working for my wife's work:

- PC\server at the office
    - Ability for 2 users to remote desktop into office PC/server, over VPN

I'm just looking at which OS to go for for the office PC/Server - it will have to be Windows due to the apps running on it. The choices seem to be:

- Windows 7
    - Windows 2008 server

It looks like Windows 7 does not support concurrent users, but a "fix" is available. 2008 supports up to 2 users connected in - it is unlikely that there will be 3 users connected at any time (2 remote & 1 in the office), but if this is required then I guess it's a licensing thing.

Would appreciate some advice on OS choice and if I can get away with Windows 7.

I will also need to get an adsl router that does VPN termination. Will probably go with the Billion BiPac 7402NX for this.

TIA.

Okay, so I've done a little digging in order to decide between 7 & 2008 server. I think I'm going to go for 'windows 2008 server foundation edition'.

Also had a hard time finding out if I would need to buy additional terminal services CAL's to license the 2 users who may connect remotely, but just found the following snippet in a technet article:

Terminal Services Licensing (TS Licensing):
    Remote Desktop supports two concurrent connections to remotely administer a computer. You do not need a license server for these connections.

Now just need to source a server - if doesn't have to be top notch, as will just be running sage mainly. I found the following one from Dell:

PowerEdge T110 - £569
    Intel® Core™ i3-540, 2C/4T, 3.06GHz
    Windows Server® 2008 R2, Foundation Edition, English, 64bit
    2GB Memory, DDR3, 1333MHz
    500GB, SATA, 3.5"

Would appreciate any better suggestions!

Comment

I would recommend 4GB RAM personally.

Ian

Comment

If you scroll down to the bottom of this page it says this:

ndows Server 2008 R2 Foundation is licensed by user accounts. You may create up to 15 user accounts that can access and use the server software. Each User Account must be assigned to one user, and each User Account permits one user, using any device, to access and use the server software on the licensed server. Users may be reassigned a User Account at any time from user to user provided the reassignment does not result in more than 15 User Accounts at any one time, regardless of the connection method. You may use Windows Server 2008 R2 Foundation in an Active Directory provided the domain is configured for a maximum of 15 individual users and is the root of the forest.
        and pertinent to your interest in CALs:

Because Windows Server 2008 R2 Foundation is licensed in this way, you do not require Windows Server client access licenses (CALs). This also makes Windows Server 2008 R2 Foundation much more cost effective for small businesses. Although Windows Server 2008 R2 Foundation does not require Windows Server CALs, TS CALs or Rights Management CALs are required to use those server roles on a Windows Server 2008 R2 Foundation–based server. The user/device limit for RMS and RDS CALs is 15.
        I think that means you have a limit of 15 users for both Rights Management roles and Remote Desktop Services. Not sure what the device limit means, so a bit of research into that is advisable.

Note that if you are planning to use the backup solution which comes with Windows Server 2008, it really really wants an external disk to write to, all to itself for scheduled backups. For manual backups you can get away with a partition on an internal disk, but you have to remember to run them.
        Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
          and pertinent to your interest in CALs:

I think that means you have a limit of 15 users for both Rights Management roles and Remote Desktop Services. Not sure what the device limit means, so a bit of research into that is advisable.

Note that if you are planning to use the backup solution which comes with Windows Server 2008, it really really wants an external disk to write to, all to itself for scheduled backups. For manual backups you can get away with a partition on an internal disk, but you have to remember to run them.
          I read that, but the bit about:

"Although Windows Server 2008 R2 Foundation does not require Windows Server CALs, TS CALs or Rights Management CALs are required to use those server roles on a Windows Server 2008 R2 Foundation–based server."

Seems to say you don't require Windows Server CALs, you do need TS CALs for that server role.

Then I did some more digging on TS CALs and found another statement which says you don't need them if you only want to support 2 concurrent remote desktop connections.

I'll be backing up to a Synology NAS server.

Comment

You can get a cheeky 3rd remote desktop connection if you connect it as console

in 2008 i think you need to put /admin or /console in the connection string. sommat like that anyway.

Comment

Ta. Think I understand it now:-

There are 2 different terminal services modes available:

Remote Administration Mode
              Remote administration mode is built-in and does not need to be installed.
              Terminal Services in Remote Administration mode permits a maximum of two concurrent remote administration connections. No additional licensing is required for those two connections, and you don't need to run the Terminal Services license server.

Application Server Mode
              This mode lets users run applications remotely. However, running Terminal Services in Application Server mode requires you to purchase licenses and set up a Terminal Services licensing server.

So, I should be good with 2008 foundation and no extra CALs.

Just got to sort out which server to get now.

Comment

That was how it was on 2003

2 administrators (must be part of admin group)

or buy TS CALs
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                X