• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

4 port Gigabit ADSL Wireless N Router

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4 port Gigabit ADSL Wireless N Router

Simple question, could anyone recommend a Wireless N ADSL Router with 4 Gigabit LAN ports and VPN.

I've always been a big fan of Draytek but after looking here:

- the 2820n is of ADSL wireless N standard but only has 1 Gigabit Lan port
    - the 2920n has 4 gigabit LAN ports but isn't ADSL

The obvious choice is to buy a Gigabit switch and use that with the current router but before I go with that option I thought I'd ask on here as ideally dont want yet another box in my ever expanding home network setup, I'd prefer to replace the existing router.

cheers
    Chef

EDIT: oops I forgot to add, it needs to have VPN capability also
    The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Originally posted by chef View Post
    Simple question, could anyone recommend a Wireless N ADSL Router with 4 Gigabit LAN ports and VPN.

The obvious choice is to buy a Gigabit switch and use that with the current router but before I go with that option I thought I'd ask on here as ideally dont want yet another box in my ever expanding home network setup, I'd prefer to replace the existing router.

cheers
    Chef

I've always been a bit of a D-Link fanbois, but have just had a quick look at their website and can't see anything that matches your requirements exactly, always missing one of the items.
    Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

cheers
      Chef

I know my opinion doesn't mean much, but you may want to look at Belkin. I've been fairly happy with mine. Must admit, haven't done any VPN stuff with it.
      If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
        I know my opinion doesn't mean much, but you may want to look at Belkin. I've been fairly happy with mine. Must admit, haven't done any VPN stuff with it.
        the Belkin Play Max I presume? looking at specs of it, it only has VPN passthrough which puts it equal to the Netgear DGN3500 Rangemax, I was looking for a router that supports VPN end points to connect to the home network as a whole rather than having to specify and setup an endpoint on a specific machine.

So far Draytek, Belkin and Netgear don't provide anything.. I'll keep looking

Comment

Found it..

Billion BiPac 7402NX

Wireless N - tick
          IPSec VPN Tunnels - 16 tick
          ADSL2 - tick
          4 port gigabit LAN - tick

the only thing concerning me is that it was released in 2008 and yet not one of the main big players seemed to have done the same thing and I've never heard of Billion... well supported? stable? I'll start doing my research..

among other reviews it seems to be stable
          Last edited by chef; 25 August 2010, 15:47.

Comment

Found it..

Billion BiPac 7402NX

Wireless N - tick
            IPSec VPN Tunnels - 16 tick
            ADSL2 - tick
            4 port gigabit LAN - tick

the only thing concerning me is that it was released in 2008 and yet not one of the main big players seemed to have done the same thing and I've never heard of Billion... well supported? stable? I'll start doing my research..

among other reviews it seems to be stable
            All I'll say is that for everyone who recommends a particular manufacturer, someone else will have a bad word to say about it!

I did a lot of research before getting my new router (didnt want \ need gigabit ports or VPN) and various people recommended Draytek, Thomson, Linksys, Netgear, Billion, Buffalo etc etc.

Then, when I did further research every one of them had poor reviews and some ISP positively didnt recommend them ie draytek, billion and buffalo.

So I went for a Linksys WAG160Nv2. Have to say its been faultless in the time I've been using it. The only drawback is I can no longer view my connection stats as fully as I could with my old Netgear. Isnt a major problem but would have been nice to have.
            I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Ironic isn't it? The most expensive ADSL modem/router I bought (Draytek) had the best supporting control panel software but it didn't work at all on my rubbish ADSL line, I had to return it. The cheapest ADSL modem (Thomson) I have bought has virtually no control panel software worth mentioning, but it performs faultlessly!
              Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
              Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
                Ironic isn't it? The most expensive ADSL modem/router I bought (Draytek) had the best supporting control panel software but it didn't work at all on my rubbish ADSL line, I had to return it. The cheapest ADSL modem (Thomson) I have bought has virtually no control panel software worth mentioning, but it performs faultlessly!
                iirc they have a real man's interface. You can get super detailed line stats out of them as well.
                While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Recently purchased a BiPAC 7800N as I wanted gig speed for a couple of systems. Works a treat for me - no problems whatsoever.

Comment

Originally posted by Spoiler View Post
                    Recently purchased a BiPAC 7800N as I wanted gig speed for a couple of systems. Works a treat for me - no problems whatsoever.
                    mine should be delivered by the weekend

Comment

Working...
                    X