• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Paint.NET question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paint.NET question

Just in case anyone here knows...

I have a greyscale BMP image, basically black text on white background white but with some anti-aliasing introducing more shades of grey. In Paint.NET I want to save this as a PNG, with transparency based on the whiteness... e.g black is opaque, white is fully transparent, so I can place this image on top of other things and the antialiased text blends properly.

I'm sure it can be done but I can't figure out the right way.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

What you want is an alpha channel.

Alpha compositing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

I know. I want to know how to do it specifically in Paint.net, to use the black/white channel for alpha. Or alternatively how to do some clever fill using transparent colour that will respect the grey-scale .

Comment

I haven't got Paint.NET at the mo but I think you need to do black text on a transparent background rather than white background for the effect you require. The white is blending so you're getting a black to white palette and what you want is a black to transparent palette.

Hope that makes sense.

Comment

Ah right.

I think if you:

change the background opacity to 0 in layer properties

create a layer with the blending mode set to "multiply" and opacity set to 255

Place the text on that using the text tool

save as png, in the dialog make sure you select 32 bit

That should do the trick.
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Unfortunately it's not text I can retype... I have a BMP. I basically want to add an alpha layer manually, using the source colour data to control the per-pixel alpha.

It seems like a fairly common thing - take an image and try to make the background colour transparent.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              Unfortunately it's not text I can retype... I have a BMP. I basically want to add an alpha layer manually, using the source colour data to control the per-pixel alpha.

It seems like a fairly common thing - take an image and try to make the background colour transparent.
              Do you want to add the text to the other image in paint.net or is to be overlayed else where?

step by step

1. add layer with text
              2. add image layer
              3. ensure that text layer is above image layer in the layers toolbox
              4. double click text layer and change blending mode to multiply
              Last edited by Spacecadet; 17 August 2010, 16:07.
              Coffee's for closers

Comment

There is also a plugin here which will give you the effect you want, i.e. a .png with a graded transparency for the anti aliasing:

Make Transparent plugin - Paint.NET Forum

download the .dll and copy to the Effects folder:
                C:\Program Files\Paint.NET\Effects
                Last edited by Spacecadet; 17 August 2010, 16:27.
                Coffee's for closers

Comment

Working...
                X