• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dumb question about comm ports

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dumb question about comm ports

I need to connect two machines via null modem cable (9 pin) to run a kernel mode debugger. One of the machines has a 25 pin and 9 pin port on the back.

How on earth do you know which is comm 1 and which is comm 2?

Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

They are also normally labelled.

Comment

Originally posted by Lightship
      Unless I'm misuderstanding you, this is a pretty basic question.

The 9-pin port is the serial (com) port.
      The 25-pin port is the parallel (lpt) port.
      Well now, the thread title was "Dumb question about comm ports" so in actuality this is a pretty basic question. I am truly sorry this passed you buy. Perhaps I am not so simple

Surprisingly comm ports also come in 25 pin variety. Hard to believe I know, but it does happen. So when you are faced with two ports, one 25 pin and one 9 pin side by side it's hard to know which is comm 1 and which is comm2. Hence the question.

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
        They are also normally labelled.
        Shove it freaky dinosaur man.

HTH

Comment

Establish which is which via trial and error. You can tell Windows which one to send debug to in boot.ini
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

If they are not labeled, the only way your gonna find out is either by trial and error or taking a look at the motherboard.

Comment

com ports have male connectors (sticky out pins) . Lpt will have female (holes).

Com1 was traditionally a nine pin and com2 25 pin on clones but it varies.

Quickest way to test is to use a loopback connector and hyperterminal (or weapon of choice). Or some sort of serial device modem etc and check via plug & pray.

Is it a particular make? They tended to have preferences and documentation.
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
              X