• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Best way to clone a server hdd?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best way to clone a server hdd?

I need to upgrade a single disk server from 150Gb drive to 300Gb. I have the disk and just need to move everything across. I am going to take a drive image using DriveImage for Linux to a USB drive as a belt and braces measure.

One option is to reimage back from the usb disk, but then I will need to resize the partition. Again if I cloned the disk (disk to disk) I would have the same issue I suppose.

Anywho, what is the best (quickest/most professional) way to go about this?

TIA

SY01
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    I need to upgrade a single disk server from 150Gb drive to 300Gb. I have the disk and just need to move everything across. I am going to take a drive image using DriveImage for Linux to a USB drive as a belt and braces measure.

One option is to reimage back from the usb disk, but then I will need to resize the partition. Again if I cloned the disk (disk to disk) I would have the same issue I suppose.

Anywho, what is the best (quickest/most professional) way to go about this?

TIA

SY01
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dd_(Unix) ?
    If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
      was looking at that but then

It is jokingly said to stand for "disk destroyer", "data destroyer", or "delete data", since, being used for low-level operations on hard disks, a small mistake, such as reversing the if and of parameters, can possibly result in the loss of all or some data on a disk.[3]
      Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Mount both disks using one of those bootable linux cds, create your partitions & file systems on the new one, then cp -r all the files.
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
          was looking at that but then

It is jokingly said to stand for "disk destroyer", "data destroyer", or "delete data", since, being used for low-level operations on hard disks, a small mistake, such as reversing the if and of parameters, can possibly result in the loss of all or some data on a disk.
          Top tip: don't make any small mistakes, then it works perfectly.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
            Top tip: don't make any small mistakes, then it works perfectly.

Agreed; I'd go for dd and don't be a pleb!

However, if you are a pleb and have access to a forensics kit you could whack a write blocker on the drive...
            B00med!

Comment

I've used dd numerous times for this with no problems but if you're really worried then you should be able to boot from a live CD, unmount your hard drive and then mount it read-only.
              Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Will dd not leave you with the problem of how to resize the partitions once you've copied them? is there a linux tool for resizing them dynamically now?
                While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

FREE download disk copy, disk clone, partition copy freeware

Comment

Acronis True Image has always been a firm favourite with me.
                    Sure it costs £30 odd quid but it works flawlessly and most would struggle to make a mistake with it.

But plenty of the freebie apps out there will do it just as well as long as you know what you are doing.

Comment

Working...
                    X