• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Need more memory in PC?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need more memory in PC?

Customer's PC is running slowly, so I've done the usual and disabled unnecessary start-up programs, been through the services and disabled the unnecessary ones, defragged hard drive, ensured no malware present (apart from AVG itself LOL), run a 'registry cleaner' (against my better judgement).

But the machine is still slow (ok, it's a crummy AMD 2.2Ghz processor).

Total memory installed is 1GB, 256 Mb used for video leaves 768Mb free. Of this, approx 550M is 'used' (according to task manager) leaving approx 230Mb 'free' (this with no additional apps running).

Does the panel think that upgrading the memory to 2GB will speed the beast up?

EDIT: it's running Windows XP Professional
    Last edited by Platypus; 17 June 2010, 19:43.

Yes. Sounds like it is an old PC so the additional memory shouldn't be too expensive.

Also, how much free space is there on the HDD?

If it is limited, it may cause issues with the swap file which needs space to 'expand'.

BTW, what OS is the PC running?

Also, applications auto update feature can also seem to slow down a PC - Adobe Acrobat is a good example of this.
    Last edited by Clippy; 17 June 2010, 18:15.

Comment

Yes, it made a fantastic difference to my PC and increased it's life by another 18 months or so...
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
        Yes. Sounds like it is an old PC so the additional memory shouldn't be too expensive.

Also, how much free space is there on the HDD?

If it is limited, it may cause issues with the swap file which needs space to 'expand'.

BTW, what OS is the PC running?

Also, applications auto update feature can also seem to slow down a PC - Adobe Acrobat is a good example of this.
        There's enough hard disk space (at least 10Gb free IIRC). Perhaps installing more memory will reduce the need for any swap.

I've switched off as many 'auto update' programs as I can - a typical PC seems to have many of these!

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
          Yes, it made a fantastic difference to my PC and increased it's life by another 18 months or so...
          Thanks Cojak and Clippy, I'll recommend the upgrade.

Which costs only £25! However, to say that this client (local small business clinging on to life) is cost sensitive is an understatement! Hence my question. Anyone else and I'd have just said 'do it anyway'.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
            There's enough hard disk space (at least 10Gb free IIRC). Perhaps installing more memory will reduce the need for any swap.

I've switched off as many 'auto update' programs as I can - a typical PC seems to have many of these!

Get more RAM and set the swap file size so the max and minimum are the same, that way it doesn't waste resources re-sizing. MS recommend setting the page file to 1.5 times RAM size but that was when XP machines typically came with 128Mb/256Mb, 2Gb of RAM and a 1Gb page file should have it flying. 256Mb used on video seems ridiculously high for on-board, set for performance over appearance.

You know that a clean XP install will speed it up by 1000% but I'm guessing you don't want to go there!
            Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Working...
            X