• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How big is your external display?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How big is your external display?

For those of you who use an external display, what size screen are you using?

Am in the market for a new one myself and think I have settled for a 24" Samsung T240HD for £200.

However for £280, I can get a 32" Samsung LE32B450.

Is a 32" external display ridiculous?

It will be used for the following purposes: External laptop display/XBox/TV

Originally posted by Clippy View Post

Am in the market for a new one myself and think I have settled for a 24" Samsung T240HD for £200.

I have the T240 attached to my desktop at home, it's a decent £200 display but not on a par with more expensive ones with IPS & PVA panels from e.g. EIZO or Lacie.

24" is about the limit of what I would want as a windows desktop but you might want more if you are after a completely immersive VR type experience or using the sort of applications that can benefit from multiple displays.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
      I have the T240 attached to my desktop at home, it's a decent £200 display but not on a par with more expensive ones with IPS & PVA panels from e.g. EIZO or Lacie.

24" is about the limit of what I would want as a windows desktop but you might want more if you are after a completely immersive VR type experience or using the sort of applications that can benefit from multiple displays.
      Good points, thanks.

TBH, since my original post, am erring towards the T240 as it is a monitor with TV capability whereas the 32B450 is a TV with monitor capability and I have no need for such a large display.

I was only considering it as the cost wasn't much more than the T240 and the thought of playing the XBox on a large screen seemed attractive.

The T240 has had some OK reviews so looks like the way to go if I can get hold of one!

Comment

I have two 22" displays. But I do SAP development through them, where it's helpful to have four sessions open and visible at one time. I also connect to client site through a virtual machine - the real machine is in one screen, the virtual in the other.

But for flight simulator it's total cool!
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
          I have two 22" displays. But I do SAP development through them, where it's helpful to have four sessions open and visible at one time. I also connect to client site through a virtual machine - the real machine is in one screen, the virtual in the other.

But for flight simulator it's total cool!
          Sounds very similar to my home set up
          2 wide screen monitors, 2nd monitor is very useful if you want to RDP to a server. You can have remote desktop open full screen in one and still have a full screen available for your local machine.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1630056/desktop.jpg

I can definitely recommend display fusion for managing the larger desktop area.
          DisplayFusion: Multi-Monitor Taskbar and Desktop Wallpaper
          Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post

For an external display I think 32" is too big.

for xbox/tv use its not big enough :P
            Coffee's for closers

Comment

I use a Dell 2407 (24").

Nice quality fast refresh, invoices, spreadsheets an word docs look great, and the occasional game .

Nearly time for the upgrade and am looking at the Dell WFP3008 (30"), or possibly 2 Dell 24" screens, cheaper than the 30".

Its a compenisatory thing, what can I say.
              Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

I just have 17". It has Visual Studio all the time, and is usually pleanty. Though I suppose there are times when debugging it'd be nice to be able to spread out a bit more. I'd rather have a third monitor than one large one though.
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                  For an external display I think 32" is too big.

for xbox/tv use its not big enough :P
                  Aye, came to that conclusion in the end!

Fairly sure I'll be going for the Samsung P2470HD now and not the T240HD mentioned earlier.

Comment

I think it's always worth paying the extra for a good display.
                    Currently using a 24" Dell UltraSharp 2008 (can't remember the exact model now), paid close to £500 for it. Resolution is 1920*1200 which is perfect for the size of screen (text easy to read etc). I think Dell now do a 24" 2010 Ultrasharp model, but consider buying via another etailer to get one cheaper than through Dell. Dell also make a 27" high res screen which is close to a grand but I've heard due to the high res(2560*xxxx which is the same res as Dell's 32inch screen), it's not great for working with text although I have not yet had a play with one to know if this is true or not.

27" I think would be fantastic, at the right resolution, but an 24" top quality 1920*1200 LCD is great
                    Last edited by SuperZ; 19 June 2010, 13:02.

Comment

Working...
                    X