• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How big is your external display?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please excuse this o/t question.

I need to upgrade the kit here (reason is another story) and like dual monitors. I've got two dodgy cards at the moment, but used to have a matrox one in the past.

I was having a chat with a young chap who is into all this lark and he said that the way to go is two cards that have some sort of link together. I was lost. WTF is this all about? I think it's to do with the gaming etc.

All I want to do is have loads of real estate to show charts, Excel, VS i.e. a typical traders/quants display (for the City types in the congregation). I'm not interested in performance for gaming etc.
    How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
    Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
      Please excuse this o/t question.

I need to upgrade the kit here (reason is another story) and like dual monitors. I've got two dodgy cards at the moment, but used to have a matrox one in the past.

I was having a chat with a young chap who is into all this lark and he said that the way to go is two cards that have some sort of link together. I was lost. WTF is this all about? I think it's to do with the gaming etc.

All I want to do is have loads of real estate to show charts, Excel, VS i.e. a typical traders/quants display (for the City types in the congregation). I'm not interested in performance for gaming etc.
      He's talking about SLI & CrossFire, which run multiple 3d accelerator cards in parallel to improve performance when gaming.

Pretty much any modern graphics card will drive two screens. Unless you are really watching the pennies an NVidia Quadro NVS is a good bet, but if you're on a tighter budget a low end gaming card will give you two displays but without some of the fancier multi desktop features.
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
        He's talking about SLI & CrossFire, which run multiple 3d accelerator cards in parallel to improve performance when gaming.

Pretty much any modern graphics card will drive two screens. Unless you are really watching the pennies an NVidia Quadro NVS is a good bet, but if you're on a tighter budget a low end gaming card will give you two displays but without some of the fancier multi desktop features.

Ah, great . That's what I wanted to know. eBuyer has a couple of options around the 80 squidly mark.
        How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
        Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
          Pretty much any modern graphics card will drive two screens.
          WHS

I actually use 2 monitors plugged into the laptop docking station. (1 VGA the other DVI)
          Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
            Aye, came to that conclusion in the end!

Fairly sure I'll be going for the Samsung P2470HD now and not the T240HD mentioned earlier.
            Got the P22470HD in the end and what an improvement over my previous 20" display.

Great looking screen and laptop use on a 24" screen really is a pleasure now.

Bonus is that the XBox is looking awesome in 1080p.

Comment

Working...
            X