• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Citrix or GoToMyPc

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Citrix or GoToMyPc

As an alternative to lugging heavy and expensive laptops around, has anyone used a thin client from their home machines?

I could have a fully loaded VM server farm on Hyper-V that I access via thin client whenever on client site. Is this doable?

I guess the biggest factors would be broadband upload speed and client VNC policies.

Try LogMeIn. They have a free version and it works best. Totally web based....

Comment

Originally posted by mavster07 View Post
      Try LogMeIn. They have a free version and it works best. Totally web based....
      +1

Been using LogMeIn for years and the current software is really good.
      Still Invoicing

Comment

Cheers, will try.

I will be connecting from client site to home pc for development, don't think I actually said that!

Comment

Yeah I used to do that from a client site in a past contract.

Free version is more than adequate.
          Still Invoicing

Comment

++1

Logmein free version is more than adequate.

Careful when installing. You want the free forever version NOT the 30 day trial.

Not as simple as it sounds.

Comment

I use a Terminal Services gateway. As it actually uses HTTP transport it generally works through corporate firewalls....

Comment

I on the other hand use NoMachine (NX).
                It's very efficient on slow connection for a nice GUI and if I don't need the gui, I can simply ssh into it.

Many eons ago in a company with crazy policies any outbound traffic other than HTTP was disallowed. I tunneled ssh/nx in HTTP and it still worked

Comment

Working...
                X