• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Powermac G5

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Powermac G5

Is it worth getting one just to mess about with? You can get a dual core for <£100 on eBay and I've always wanted to know what all the fuss is about?

Waste of time, too old now?

Also can I use my proper mouse and keyboard on one?
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    Is it worth getting one just to mess about with? You can get a dual core for <£100 on eBay and I've always wanted to know what all the fuss is about?

Waste of time, too old now?

Also can I use my proper mouse and keyboard on one?
    Probably a waste of time tbh. You wont find much in the way of recent software to run on it now and it wont run Leopard or Snow Leopard well enough to show off what they can do, if it runs them at all.

It was good in it's day, but that day has long since passed.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

It won't run Snow Leopard - you need an intel mac for that.

Should run Leopard though - The Leopard Experience at 867 MHz

It will work with your own keyboard & mouse.

You won't be rendering any 3D animations in under 5 days though...
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

I've got a PowerMac G5 1.6, bottom of the range! Runs Leo fine. Got it in 2003 with a 20" Cinema screen, was cock-on when I bought it, now it's gathering dust, occasionally fired up cos it has OSX Server on it. Still got the boxes/manuals/media too! Apple boxes are a joy to behold.

Haven't seen any sub 100 notes tho, not BIN's anyway...
        Last edited by stek; 13 May 2010, 10:01.

Comment

Working...
        X