• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Web languages turned on today

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Web languages turned on today

BBC News - 'Historic' day as first non-latin web addresses go live

So how does this work then? Could I register my domain with a arabic name as well eventhough I am in the UK - and my host's servers are in Florida?
    McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
    Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

حسنا لم أكن! انباء طيبة........ أعتقد؟

لم يكن يعرف أنها لم تكن موجودة بالفعل.
    على كل شركة عميل باللغة العربية إلا إذا كنت إطفائه.
    وجوجل ، وآخرون بينغ الافتراضي القاعدة إلى العربية وكذلك

يا والأمر كله إلى الوراء كذلك!

أنا لا ديكي ذكي؟

Comment

tsk, all left aligned. Does the new forum not support Unicode?

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
        tsk, all left aligned. Does the new forum not support Unicode?
        Judging by various bits of multilingual software I have delved into, writing direction is a separate issue from correct characters display.

Ooh look - there's HTML for Right To Left (aka RTL)

Points awarded for spotting the glaring error in that article
        Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
          Judging by various bits of multilingual software I have delved into, writing direction is a separate issue from correct characters display.

Ooh look - there's HTML for Right To Left (aka RTL)

Points awarded for spotting the glaring error in that article
          The results window hasn't switched "He said".

Comment

At ClientCo all emails etc they send out are in both English and Arabic....
            Left side of page is English (left aligned)
            Right side of page is Arabic (right aligned)
            with a few english words where there is no "obvious" translation.... written left to right - so must be a bugger to read.

Mostly the lines "line up".........

Bing, Google pages etc all read from right to left and have the curser on the right hand side of the entry field..... so although your (English) typing comes out OK is "feels" wrong... the curser stays on the extreme left of what you type but new chars appear on the right.....

The "Vistors Book" ay ClientCO is also confusing.
            Signed - Time out - Time in - Date - Reason for Visit - Person visiting - Name
            (with Arabic equivalent).

So you enter it "backwards".........

Comment

Read all about it

Comment

Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
                The results window hasn't switched "He said".
                Nope. The guy is taliking about "European digits" versus "Arabic digits".

From the OED:
                Arabic numeral
                noun
                any of the numerals 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9. Arabic numerals reached western Europe through Arabia, replacing Roman numerals, by about ad 1200, but probably originated in India.

Here's what Wiki have to say
                The Arabic numerals or Hindu numerals or Hindu-Arabic numerals are the ten digits (0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9).
                The numerals the guy was talking about are in fact Arabic-Indic
                Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
                X