• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Switching from POP to IMAP

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Switching from POP to IMAP

any gotcha's I need to look out for.
    Using mulitple machines (PC , Phone and Gmail) and a couple of email accounts which I currently access via POP but I think it'll make more sense if I use IMAP
    Coffee's for closers

as long as the ISP/email provder and your email client both support imap you shouldnt have any problems. MY ISP supports IMAP over SSL , and I use it with Thunderbird fine.

You may need to manually enter a port if its a non standard one. Gmail supports Imap I believe (never tried it myself).

Getting started with IMAP for Gmail - Gmail Help

Comment

Thanks for that?

How about folders?
      Currently in outlook I have several subfolders in my inbox which I move emails into after reading them. Are these going to interfere with the mail server if I leave them as they are?
      Coffee's for closers

Comment

I use IMAP with Thunderbird and GMail. It sort of works, but there's something not quite right about it. For example, this is what I have in Thunderbird:

Inbox
        Drafts
        Sent
        Deleted
        Google Mail
        - Drafts
        - Sent Mail
        - All Mail
        - Spam
        - Deleted
        - Started
        ABC
        Sent Items

So you see it's a little confused. ABC is a "label"; basically a folder that GMail uses for emails from particular people, but the emails also end up in Inbox. So you can do folders that way.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

TBH I only use the standard Inbox folder, and im not 100% sure if you'd have those other folders visible on a different machine the way you would with an exchange email account, give it a try

Comment

Latest gmail is imap. Only problem I had was not being able to delete unwanted folders in Windows Live Mail.
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
              Thanks for that?

How about folders?
              Currently in outlook I have several subfolders in my inbox which I move emails into after reading them. Are these going to interfere with the mail server if I leave them as they are?
              Think it'll work fine if you leave them as they are.

I've just moved my MainCo address to Google Apps which uses IMAP and just dragged all my local folders from a Windows Mail client into the IMAP folder list which works nicely as i have access to those folders from anywhere now wheras they were just on one desktop before.

Comment

I've been using IMAP without problems for nearly 2 years now. My first job once IMAP was established was to reorganise my In Box, filing stuff under relevant folders; and it was a dream just dragging stuff around (this in Apple Mail, but I don't see how Outlook should be any different):

One thing I did run into was that my setup / Apple Mail couldn't cope with saving drafts on the IMAP server. Not a problem for short e-mails, but it was a problem for longer ones. I simply unchecked the box in each account which says "Store drafts on server".

As an aside I did once look at the IMAP code and was impressed that it was commented well. The author, Mark Crispin, can get aggressively sweary if you upset him, but keep on the right side of him and he's OK.
                Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Durbs View Post
                  Think it'll work fine if you leave them as they are.

I've just moved my MainCo address to Google Apps which uses IMAP and just dragged all my local folders from a Windows Mail client into the IMAP folder list which works nicely as i have access to those folders from anywhere now wheras they were just on one desktop before.
                  How much are you paying for that service?
                  Coffee's for closers

Comment

Working...
                  X