• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Handy SQL join explanation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Handy SQL join explanation

I know this won't be of much use to you hardened SQL warriors out there, but I just found this link which I found very helpful in explaining joins to one of our developers.

Coding Horror: A Visual Explanation of SQL Joins
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    I know this won't be of much use to you hardened SQL warriors out there, but I just found this link which I found very helpful in explaining joins to one of our developers.

That's useful. I'm currently trying to get my head around SQL so I can create ad hoc reports.
    Me, me, me...

Comment

Since SQL joins appear to be set-based

Good article though
      Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Maybe (just maybe) basic set theory should be explained before they are let anywhere near a database.
        Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
          Maybe (just maybe) basic set theory should be explained before they are let anywhere near a database.
          We did that at school and I still draw Venn diagrams sometimes
          +50 Xeno Geek Points
          Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
          As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Set theory is also crucial to understanding XSLT (the clue is in the constant references to "node sets" in the specs) yet hardly anybody using the language seems to understand that... then again, they don't understand the implications of it being a declarative language (as is SQL) either.

Of course XSLT is Turing-complete, which SQL isn't, so that probably confuses them as they develop complex ways to do stuff that would be simple if they knew what to do with sets.
            Last edited by NickFitz; 29 April 2010, 04:54.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
              Of course XSLT is Turing-complete, which SQL isn't
              http://assets.en.oreilly.com/1/event...esentation.pdf
              Coffee's for closers

Comment

I was referring to standard SQL, not SQL with a bunch of proprietary extensions.

Comment

Working...
                X