• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ten free apps to install on every new PC

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ten free apps to install on every new PC

A nice selection of free useful apps here (if perhaps MS O/S oriented)

Questions regarding:
    • iTunes. It's a free download, but once you've downloaded it, are you going to have to pay to use it (i.e. to listen to or download stuff)?
    • Microsoft Security Essentials. Does anyone use this?

I have over 600 albums on iTunes and I've never paid for anything other than the CD's I've imported, you can import mp3's too.

It's worth creating a store account just so you can use the feature that recognises CD track sizes and names them for you.
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
      Microsoft Security Essentials. Does anyone use this?
      Yes.
      Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

I've been using MSSE on all my VMs for a while now. Seems to be very stable and less of a resource hog than any of the others.

Not had any dramas on any of the VMs it's installed on but I installed it on the wife's laptop the other day which will be the acid test.

I prefer itunes to the bastard abomination that is is Windows Media Player but I know others who would say the exact opposite...
        ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
          I prefer itunes to the bastard abomination that is is Windows Media Player but I know others who would say the exact opposite...
          Me for one

Although Spotify tends to suffice for most of my (laptop) listening needs these days.
          Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

iTunes on Windows is crappy, if you aren't using it for your iPod I can't see the reason to use it. On a Mac it's a totally different story, but on Windows I find Media Player is really quite good these days.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              iTunes on Windows is crappy, if you aren't using it for your iPod I can't see the reason to use it. On a Mac it's a totally different story, but on Windows I find Media Player is really quite good these days.
              That's probably why I prefer it. We are 80% macs at home, only the wife's laptop is windows.

It does (mildly) annoy me that they insist on lumping a couple of extra downloads with every update, but I understand you can turn that off if you like.
              ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by voodooflux View Post

Although Spotify tends to suffice for most of my (laptop) listening needs these days.
                Not for me it doesn't. 14 days out of the country and you're blocked, sorry, invited to upgrade to Premium ion order to continue.

Comment

My client PC is all in German, outlook is all mad - what the heck is going on here?
                  "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Been using MSSE since i installed windows 7, very unobtrusive but seems to catch more than other anti virus programs I've used.
                    I did dig out a few comparison web links a few weeks back and MSSE fared very favouribly compared to the big AV

Been using windows media player for years and not had a problem with it, use media player classic for anything wmp won't handle

One program they don't mention is paint.net, best free application i've ever used.
                    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Working...
                    X