• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Slow Wireless = Slow Machine

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slow Wireless = Slow Machine

Confused by this?

Was having some intermittent broadband problems yesterday(or thats how it seems).

Got an HP Touchsmart 600PC with the following spec

Data Link Protocol: Ethernet, Fast Ethernet, Gigabit Ethernet, IEEE 802.11b, IEEE 802.11g, Bluetooth 2.0 EDR, IEEE 802.11n
    • Compliant Standards: IEEE 802.11b, IEEE 802.11g, Bluetooth 2.0, IEEE 802.11n
    Type: Intel Core 2 Duo P7450 / 2.13 GHz
    • Multi-Core Technology: Dual-Core

Any broadband was running OK and had three bars at distance, but when connection was made using wireless the machine ground to a halt. The mouse would jerk across the screen, windows explorer would hang(now moved to Chrome), unable to type.

Took ages to work out, but eventually just disconnected the wireless connection. Speed seemed OK but was bouncing between 1MPS - 54MPS, but I was unable to ascertain what the issues was.

What I dont understand is how on earth the whole machine grinds to a halt when the wireless is being a little intermittent? CPU was normal?

Sat on my Mac, obviously with a slower connection, but absolutely no degradation on the performance of the rest of the machine.

I was also able to pick up another wireless connection last night, but unable to see that now. Speed now back to 54mps

Is there something I need to configure/do? Does this indicate an issue with the network card? Nothing in Norton to suggest anything.No idea what to look at just yet???

Any ideas?
    Last edited by MarillionFan; 17 April 2010, 07:37.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Grrrrrrrrrrr! Known problem with the HP Touchsmart 600.

Looks like rushed to market too soon.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/TouchSm...e/td-p/166220/
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Had some real issues with our 6930 laptops wireless, upgrade of bios & Intel drivers fixed it. Is suspect this may be related.

Oh and yes slow network will stop everything I have a vague memory that the stack is single threaded and has blocking locks.
      Last edited by vetran; 18 April 2010, 13:35.
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
      X