• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Blocking specific executables with Symantec AV

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blocking specific executables with Symantec AV

Does anyone know if it is possible to use Symantec AV to stop the execution of specific applications?

We have an issue where users of non ( company) standard browsers are able to bypass security controls on one of our internal web apps. I realise simply blocking execution of those browsers is not the real answer, but the issue is sufficiently sensitive that I need a quick fix while we sort out a long term solution.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    Does anyone know if it is possible to use Symantec AV to stop the execution of specific applications?

We have an issue where users of non ( company) standard browsers are able to bypass security controls on one of our internal web apps. I realise simply blocking execution of those browsers is not the real answer, but the issue is sufficiently sensitive that I need a quick fix while we sort out a long term solution.
    It won't stop people from renaming the file to something else in order to get around the block.

There is a product called Sanctuary that can block applications on a deeper level than filenames, this would be a long term solution, if that is of any help. Unfortunately, I don't know to block things in Symantec.

Best of luck in finding out.
    If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

GPO to block filnames/paths?

http://www.windowsitpro.com/article/...lication-.aspx

Comment

Working...
      X