• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Internet on Trains

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by xchaotic View Post
    And while we're on the subject, how is internet delivered to the train?
    About 10 years ago a friend of mine did first trial installations, they were using gyroscopic ally stabilised dishes and satellite uplink at ca £1mil per train and the Internet was slow with high latency.
    How is it done nowadays?
    I think they use carrier pigeons, but do not quote me on that.
    Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

I get on the east coast every day and internet is fine, mind you there are bugger all people on it between Glasgow and Edinburgh.

On how it works? If you look there are little alcatel boxes on the side of the engines. I assume they are just mobiles really, blame the mobile operators as they cannot provide a decent speed, it is not the train operators who are the weak link.

Comment

Would suspect that the ports you need open are shut and they are just allowing web browsing / e-mail through.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
          I get on the east coast every day and internet is fine, mind you there are bugger all people on it between Glasgow and Edinburgh.
          How does this service compare to Scotrail's (via Falkirk)? O2's 3G coverage on that line is crap, would be great if Scotrail brought in WiFi - even Citylink buses have it, FFS!

Comment

Ports can be one thing - but I've also had issues with some places (hotels etc.) using a double-NATing that the Cisco VPN Server didn't like.

Basically identifying my computer as a friend-of-a-friend-of-a-friend etc. which got it's knickers in a twist.

In theory it should still work, but none of us could be arsed to work out why given the advent of 3G dongles.

Some 3G dongles can be very fussy on trains for a variety of reasons (Faraday cage, 25Kv of electricity, contention with everyone chatting) whereas a voice call uses considerably less bandwidth.
            Last edited by centurian; 18 April 2010, 19:57.

Comment

For some reason, the T-mobile service on this train has identified me as being in Germany - so no BBC videos, and Google is in German.

Code:
              Ort der IP Adresse: Bonn in Germany	
              ISP: T-Mobile Deutschland GmbH
              Last edited by The Wikir Man; 19 April 2010, 07:11.
              If you have to add a , it isn't funny. HTH. LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by vandiss View Post
                How does this service compare to Scotrail's (via Falkirk)?
                Purely on the train service? I much prefer it, carriages are much quieter, less stops, trains a cleaner and the staff don't have the attitude that scotrail staff do. Plus there is the bar in the evening. Usually more reliable as there are fewer trains on that line.

Comment

Originally posted by The Wikir Man View Post
                  For some reason, the T-mobile service on this train has identified me as being in Germany - so no BBC videos, and Google is in German.
                  EastCoast's internet is from Sweden, you get redirected to google.se

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                    On how it works? If you look there are little alcatel boxes on the side of the engines. I assume they are just mobiles really, blame the mobile operators as they cannot provide a decent speed, it is not the train operators who are the weak link.
                    They should have invested in satellite internet

Comment

Originally posted by Lumiere View Post
                      They should have invested in satellite internet
                      Would that even be possible on a tilting, shifting, vibrating train doing 125 through trees and tunnels?

Comment

Working...
                      X