• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Laptop memory

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Laptop memory

The next thing to go wrong in my ongoing torture that I vaguely recognise as some semblance of a life.

Laptop gone on the blink. Memtest indicates the memory is naffed. PC2 5300S 1GB.

Ho hum. Off to the PC World shop. They don't have what I reserved so offer me some PC2 6400 which should "clock down". Nope.

So they then find some dearer 5300 ram. Install. Nope. Nada. Nichts. Zip. Diddly.

Put the old "partially buggered" ram in and it boots up fine.

Question to the panel.

Why?
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Because you didn't order from Crucial.

I thought everyone knew that.

You deserve your troubles because you went to PC World

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
      Because you didn't order from Crucial.

I thought everyone knew that.

You deserve your troubles because you went to PC World
      Thanks

Comment

Why? Because the contacts were dirty. Removing and replacing the old RAM cleaned them up enough to work.
        +50 Xeno Geek Points
        Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
        As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
          Why? Because the contacts were dirty. Removing and replacing the old RAM cleaned them up enough to work.
          Very good Zips.
          I swopped em back and forwards a few times. Old RAM worked, new'un did not. So I started thinking about CMOS resets. It turns out, when swapping RAM in a laptop you should do it with the battery removed. Then hold the power button down for 5-10s as this resets the CMOS.

Then switch back on and weyhey

Except when I went to install windows it got 57% through and shut itself down and now won't boot. I can get to the BIOS screen but no more.

I think this laptop is well and truly fooked.

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
            WSS is extremely likely.

Comment

Have you tried bleeding the radiators?
              If you have to add a , it isn't funny. HTH. LOL.

Comment

You're working on a laptop with only 1GB of memory!?
                And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

People often say dirty contacts, but, I ask, how? The chip has presumably been in the laptop since manufacture, and inside the machine, so how have contaminants got in there?

I'd like to think a stray cosmic ray, passing through, caused an "SCR lock-up". Because a laptop always has some charge wandering about it was held on. Taking the chip out allowed it to discharge.

And I much prefer my theory for incidents such as this.
                  Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                  threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Damn those stray cosmic rays, sir! Damn them I say!

Comment

Working...
                    X