• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mini mac for pro tools

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
    It's not so much being able to run Pro Tools but what you're going to throw at it. Audio recording, samplers, MIDI plugins, softsynths etc.
    Here again, go for the Intel version. The trend for some time has been that newer bits of some apps are Intel only (e.g. iPhoto face recognition, bits of Garageband, all of iMovie).
    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

What sort of latencies are you getting at the moment? I'm surprised latency is a problem playing a synth module unless you are playing through a lot of plugin effects. Have you tried using ASIO direct monitoring or is that not possible with your setup? What effects are you using?

BTW, I'm sure you already know you need a digidesign or m-audio interface to use pro tools. If you already have this then I doubt you're going to see a massive difference plugging it into a mac, unless of course the mac is a great improvement on your existing PC.
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
        What sort of latencies are you getting at the moment? I'm surprised latency is a problem playing a synth module unless you are playing through a lot of plugin effects. Have you tried using ASIO direct monitoring or is that not possible with your setup? What effects are you using?

BTW, I'm sure you already know you need a digidesign or m-audio interface to use pro tools. If you already have this then I doubt you're going to see a massive difference plugging it into a mac, unless of course the mac is a great improvement on your existing PC.
        I think we are out about .1 of a second now. That bad. If I lay down a piano to the click track and listen back it's miles out esp as my first instrument is the drum kit and my timing is very good.

really my machine is now a server, I run countless stuff on it that it was never bought to do. Web cams streaming to the interent of my drive way and other such nonsense, The machine was never up to the job really. I use my laptop for most suff these days,

If I can dedicate a mac mini to the job then I can retire this old box and move the server stuff onto a windows home server thingy.

I recon I can build a shelf above my korg keyboard and plonk my dual monitors and mac mini on that, I have a m-audio already for the midi to the PC.

Then I just need to get benched and I will be as happy as a pig in tulip.

Comment

So the problem is that your recorded MIDI is out of time?

Have you tried setting (or unsetting) the MIDI ports to "use system timestamp" in device setup? This has fixed the same problem for me in the past (i.e. where recorded midi is even more out of time than my hamfisted playing).

Possibly useful article here:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/dec0...etech_1207.htm
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
            So the problem is that your recorded MIDI is out of time?

Have you tried setting (or unsetting) the MIDI ports to "use system timestamp" in device setup? This has fixed the same problem for me in the past (i.e. where recorded midi is even more out of time than my hamfisted playing).

Possibly useful article here:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/dec0...etech_1207.htm
            I'll give that a whirl sometime this week, probably the weekend at this rate. Cheers

Comment

Working...
            X