• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mini mac for pro tools

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mini mac for pro tools

I'm thinking of getting shot of my old XP box running cubase and shifting to the dark side to go with pro tools.

I pretty much want to keep to a budget though as I will be buying a new drum kit at the same time.

My thoughts are to get a second hand mini mac and it seems that you can pick a second hand one up for abut 100 quid. like a "Mac Mini G4 1.25GHz 1GB RAM 40GB HDD" on ebay just now

Is there any chance that something like that can handle pro tools? I assume not but really I don't want to go and buy a brand new one and would want a half way house, the machine will only be used for music creation.

Also can the mac support dual monitors?

Cheers for any advice.

Don't know anything about Pro Tools but I personally wouldn't get a Power PC based Mini. They are supported by Leopard but not Snow Leopard. My Intel based Mini is also significantly faster than my Power PC one.

Comment

Cheers, that is something I did not know.

Comment

I've just been checking and I think only the more recent models support dual monitors. The newer one in front of me certainly has two video outputs while the older one upstairs - hold on a minute - only has the one output.

Comment

Go for an Intel based newer version as you can then still run Windoze within the Mac OS if you need to.
          Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

It's not so much being able to run Pro Tools but what you're going to throw at it. Audio recording, samplers, MIDI plugins, softsynths etc.
            Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
              My thoughts are to get a second hand mini mac and it seems that you can pick a second hand one up for abut 100 quid. like a "Mac Mini G4 1.25GHz 1GB RAM 40GB HDD" on ebay just now
              As has been said dont even consider a Power PC based Mini. The Intel based ones are the way to go.

Even the lower end Core2 ones are pretty nippy so bung in an extra gig of memory (had to upgrade mine recently, not a fun job cracking those things open!) and it'll be fast enough i'd say.

I've got a Mini 1.83 Core2Duo and its plenty quick enough for most things so that or higher would do the job.

Also helps if running Snow Leopard, I upgraded from Leopard --> Snow Leopard which cost a few quid from Amazon and its noticably quicker.
              Last edited by Durbs; 9 April 2010, 11:00.

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
                It's not so much being able to run Pro Tools but what you're going to throw at it. Audio recording, samplers, MIDI plugins, softsynths etc.
                I pretty much exlusively use my roland synth module with a couple of expansion cards ( orchestra and keys). Won't be tanking the thing.

I'm wanting to get away from my XP box as the latency makes it unworkable now and I have not done anything in ages.

Comment

Originally posted by Durbs View Post
                  As has been said dont even consider a Power PC based Mini. The Intel based ones are the way to go.

Even the lower end Core2 ones are pretty nippy so bung in an extra gig of memory (had to upgrade mine recently, not a fun job cracking those things open!) and it'll be fast enough i'd say.

I've got a Mini 1.83 Core2Duo and its plenty quick enough for most things so that or higher would do the job.

Also helps if running Snow Leopard, I upgraded from Leopard --> Snow Leopard which cost a few quid from Amazon and its noticably quicker.
                  There are a few of that kind of spec kicking about ebay. can't get on in clientco though

Read somwhere that I should be getting 2 gig min of ram

Seen one chap say that he put more memory in and now the case does not line up quite right anymore so it sounds like it's no fun getting them open.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                    Seen one chap say that he put more memory in and now the case does not line up quite right anymore so it sounds like it's no fun getting them open.
                    Aye, they are not the easiest things to strip. Had to do mine 3 x because the first time i put it back together i could hear the fan, whereas before the thing was completely silent.

On the third time of rearranging the packing to cure this hum i realised i'd disconnected a tiny black cable that i assume controls the fan so the bios was just whacking the fan up to full speed

By that time though, I could strip and reassemble it super speedy.

Comment

Working...
                    X