• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why does my broadband speed slow down......

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why does my broadband speed slow down......

.................when my connection via the router gets to about 160hours!

I dont get this at all, can someone explain?

My router connects at a speed to all intents and purposes at around 6meg. The router shows the connection is stable. Its currently been up for just over 160 hours. I just checked the connection speed and its dropped to 5meg. I could reboot the router to get back up to 6 meg but why when the connection is stable, does the speed drop!?
    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Have you hit some download limit set by your provider? (Although I think the cut would be more dramatic)
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
      Have you hit some download limit set by your provider? (Although I think the cut would be more dramatic)
      No, its not that.

It only happens when the connection hits 160hours or more.

Comment

This won't help I suppose but for ages I couldn't figure out why my router would lose connection around 8pm every night.

The router was fairly close to a radiator, heating would kick in at the same time every evening and take about two hours to get up to a temperature that the router didn't like.
        Me, me, me...

Comment

Just a thought. What is the lease time set to? 168 hours is 1 week. Try increasing it.

Comment

Originally posted by Punter View Post
            Just a thought. What is the lease time set to? 168 hours is 1 week. Try increasing it.
            The lease doesnt run out or rather it does but that doesnt cause the slower speed. If I was to reboot the router, the speed goes back to around 6meg.

BTW, how do you increase the lease time? I cant find anyway to do this via the NetGear DG834N GUI. When I open network connection by clicking on the internet icon on the Taskbar, the lease is typically shown as 3 days ahead.

Doesnt bother me but my kids whinge like heck because the lease always changes around midnight when they are on the XBox!

EDIT, the noise margin also seems to creep up while long connections. Just checked and its been up for getting for 200 hours with a noise margin of 9.4db It appears the climbing noise margin slows the speed but why should the NM increase the longer the connect is up?
            Last edited by BolshieBastard; 31 March 2010, 13:18.

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
              The lease doesnt run out or rather it does but that doesnt cause the slower speed. If I was to reboot the router, the speed goes back to around 6meg.

BTW, how do you increase the lease time? I cant find anyway to do this via the NetGear DG834N GUI. When I open network connection by clicking on the internet icon on the Taskbar, the lease is typically shown as 3 days ahead.

Doesnt bother me but my kids whinge like heck because the lease always changes around midnight when they are on the XBox!

EDIT, the noise margin also seems to creep up while long connections. Just checked and its been up for getting for 200 hours with a noise margin of 9.4db It appears the climbing noise margin slows the speed but why should the NM increase the longer the connect is up?
              Netgear routers are notoriously rubbish. I had no end of problems when I had Netgear Routers. Had next to no problems with my Belkin Router.

My only suggestion is to buy a different make of router (if permitted. I think there are a couple of ISP's that forces people to use their routers by only allowing certain MAC addresses through their network).
              If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Try flashing the router, I had drop out problems with my Netgear, latest flash solved all my problems,

also...do you have a sky box attached to your line? unplug and check your speed, you'll be surprised!
                Who has time? Who has time? But then if we do not ever take time, how can we ever have time?

Comment

Does it keep a logfile of activity? Maybe that's how long it takes to fill?

My router disconnects everytime there is a flash of lightning.

Comment

I think it is a bug. You could try to upgrade the firmware. The cause might be the internal memory of the router became full after long usage.

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
                    .................when my connection via the router gets to about 160hours!

I dont get this at all, can someone explain?

My router connects at a speed to all intents and purposes at around 6meg. The router shows the connection is stable. Its currently been up for just over 160 hours. I just checked the connection speed and its dropped to 5meg. I could reboot the router to get back up to 6 meg but why when the connection is stable, does the speed drop!?

Comment

Working...
                    X