• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Short wave comes up short

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Short wave comes up short

I want to listen to BBC World Service while I am on contract in Germany, e.g. in Frankfurt. Any ideas how to do this? I have a DAB radio and a LW/MW/SW/FM radio. But:

1. The BBC doesn't do short wave to Europe any more.
    2. Medium wave (648) doesn't reach this far.
    3. Long wave (198) is now aimed at the UK, not Europe, so doesn't reach this far any more.
    4. DRM supposedly does not reach this far, and I don't want to buy a DRM receiver just to find out. No plans to extend DRM in Europe.
    5. I'm in hotels so I can't put up a satellite dish.
    6. German hotels don't usually offer it on their TV.
    7. I don't have an internet connection.
    8. I can't afford to listen on a mobile phone.

Or do I need to look at other countries' broadcasters for English, e.g. Voice of America, Radio Beijing, etc?
    Step outside posh boy

I must admit that I never found a way round that when I was working in Germany. I have one of those "multi-band world radio" things, but it was completely useless and never found anything English at all as far as I can remember. Hitler would have been delighted!

The internet option is probably the only way you're going to do it. Don't the hotels have wi-fi or anything? I usually top up my phone with iplayer downloads and podcasts at the weekend, so I've got stuff to watch and listen to while travelling, but that isn't quite the same as listening to live radio, I know.

Comment

Originally posted by dang65 View Post
      I must admit that I never found a way round that when I was working in Germany. I have one of those "multi-band world radio" things, but it was completely useless and never found anything English at all as far as I can remember. Hitler would have been delighted!

The internet option is probably the only way you're going to do it. Don't the hotels have wi-fi or anything? I usually top up my phone with iplayer downloads and podcasts at the weekend, so I've got stuff to watch and listen to while travelling, but that isn't quite the same as listening to live radio, I know.
      The hotels I go to don't, or charge extra (steeply) for it.

You're right about the downloads and podcasts. I lived in France for years and I did that all the time there. That would do it for music and speech, except news. I'll work out a schedule.
      Step outside posh boy

Comment

linkage

BFBS Germany Location FM
        Bielefeld 103
        Bonn 97.8
        Drachenberg 93
        Hameln 99.3
        Langenberg 96.5
        Visselhovede 97.6
        Kiel 88.4
        Brunssum (Holland) 90.2
        Maastrict (Holland) 87.8
        SHAPE (Belguim) 107.7

BFBS UK (Germany) Location FM
        Rheindahlen 104.3
        Hohne 104.7
        Bielefeld 101.6
        Münster 102.2
        Sennelager 105
        Fallingbostel 95.2
        Hameln 106.8
        Celle 95.4
        Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
        threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

linkage

Germany

Erfurt 106.6 FM
          English

Weimar 96.2 FM
          English

Jena 103.4 FM
          English

Ilmenau 98.1 FM
          English

Nordhausen 88.3 FM
          English

Berlin BBC FM 90.2 FM
          English

Leipzig BBC FM 98.2 FM
          "English, French & German"

Chemnitz BBC FM 88.9 FM

Dresden 91.1 FM

Bremen Radio Bremen DAB
          English

Frankfurt Business Radio DAB
          English

Köln WDR DAB
          English
          Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
          threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
            I know about BFBS, I get it in the car at some points. Wouldn't want a whole day of it though.

I didn't know about the local DAB broadcasts, though. Thanks. Seems to be just specific programmes though. Like, if I happen to be home at 6 pm then I can get half-an-hour of Europe Today. Not like, I can switch on any time and get BBC World Service.
            Last edited by Tarquin Farquhar; 18 March 2010, 10:49.
            Step outside posh boy

Comment

This guy has some info about BBC reception in Germany but the gist of it seems to be that the further south and East you go the less luck you are going to have.
              "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                This guy has some info about BBC reception in Germany but the gist of it seems to be that the further south and East you go the less luck you are going to have.
                Thanks, a bit out of date though as he talks of short wave, but the BBC stopped short wave broadcasts to Europe over 2 years ago, which is why I have a problem. They do DRM but only for Benelux and "There are no immediate plans to extend DRM transmissions further into Europe.". The BBC website's recommended method of listening in Frankfurt is Satellite. Thanks, let me just set it up on the hotel roof.
                Step outside posh boy

Comment

You won't get BFBS in Frankfurt, only from just past Neuwied and further north (I liten to it from just past Siegen on my way to Münster.) The only thing in English you'll get over the air is AFN which is on 98.7 which varies from program to program but is very forces-centric (why they are broadcasting adverts to forces to join the forces I don't know.) Mind you in Frankfurt hotels you should get BBC World (carp) on TV along with at least CNN and CNBC (and DSF Sexy Sport Clips after midnight.) Alternatively go sit in one of the Irish and English pubs all evening watching Sky Sports
                  Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                    You won't get BFBS in Frankfurt, only from just past Neuwied and further north (I liten to it from just past Siegen on my way to Münster.) The only thing in English you'll get over the air is AFN which is on 98.7 which varies from program to program but is very forces-centric (why they are broadcasting adverts to forces to join the forces I don't know.) Mind you in Frankfurt hotels you should get BBC World (carp) on TV along with at least CNN and CNBC (and DSF Sexy Sport Clips after midnight.) Alternatively go sit in one of the Irish and English pubs all evening watching Sky Sports
                    Yes, only ISTR BBC World going off at some time like 08:00 to make way for a children'S channel.

I don't like TV anyway, and haven't had it on for months. I like radio. I quite liked BBC World Service radio on short wave, but now it seems to have moved off on to other media that I don't get. Thus I am suffering from the Old Codger's complaint that "progress" always seems to make things worse for me.

Sitting in a Brit Pub all night is an interesting thought, it makes all the other options look better.

I know, I know, the answer is to stop this nomadic life and decide where I live and work (same answer to both if you please). Haven't managed to swing that these last ten years, alas.
                    Step outside posh boy

Comment

Working...
                    X