• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Git, Subversion, CVS

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SVN is solid and industry standard, basically CVS but much better. It's also still undergoing continual improvement from a lot of active developers.

GIT is quite popular amongst geeks but I don't have any experience with it.

For paid software, VSS is a bad choice. Perforce is pretty widely used, and I read an article discussing how MS used a custom version of it for development of a recent version of Windows (maybe they since switched to SVN, if so that's relatively recent).

MS has never said VSS is for big software projects, as far as I know. These days, they promote use of Team Suite, which I've actually heard good things about... and would suit big corporations with site licenses of Visual Studio.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Another svn vote here. Been using it for a good few years now and could not do without it. Interest in GIT after seeing Linus Torvalds video about it but as subversion does what I want then I have no desire to put myself through a needless learning curve.

Comment

Another SVN here.

CVS is good but as others have said is file based and doesn't store directory changes.

Comment

SVN would get my vote.

you'd be really surprised how many places are both using VSS, and don't believe there's anything better..

Comment

Another reason for us using svn is we can get Windows-using designers to check in using tortoise and not having to touch a shell window.

Comment

Originally posted by Durbs View Post
              Not allowed to use SVN at current client co (I suggested it for current project) as it's open source and policy prohibits the use of such apps.

Saying that though, happy with StarTeam and just glad it didn't go on VSS!
              You should quit, it's not all about the money you know...

Comment

Client co Java bods use SVN (plugged into RAD which I understand is quite handy).

They don't bother with source control on the iseries yet.
                ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

ClearCase is good, but complicated and expensive. Perforce is good and would be what I would recommend to a client.

Comment

Working...
                  X