• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why partition large HDD?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why partition large HDD?

I've noticed that new computers with one large SATA disk installed, often partition the drive into say 250GB of 'System Disk' (the C: drive) and 250GB of 'Data' (the D: drive).

Why do they do this?

Is there some disadvantage in having one large (e.g. 500GB) C: partition?

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    I've noticed that new computers with one large SATA disk installed, often partition the drive into say 250GB of 'System Disk' (the C: drive) and 250GB of 'Data' (the D: drive).

Why do they do this?

When you need to reinstall windows to C: after it corrupts its self, you don't lose all the user data on D: that isn't there but was on C: anyway ...

HTH

Comment

Years ago, I used to partition disks as you describe and keep my data and swapfile on the D:\ partition.

About 5 - 6 years ago, I started to stick to just the one partition as I now keep all my data on an external USB drive.

Recently, I bought a new laptop with a 320Gb SATA HDD which, again, was partitioned as you describe. I am keeping it like that for a couple of reasons - 1) My Samsung laptop has a 'hidden' partition which has various system utilities installed which would be lost if I was to reformat the drive into one partition and can only be re-installed by Samsung 2) The laptop comes with a drive imaging utility for backup purposes which places the image file on the D:\ partition. As I don't use this partition for anything else and there is plenty of space, it is handy.

Like you, I am not convinced of the merits of having multiple partitions.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
        No, theres no performance advantage either way as its the same disk, as said its mainly to have the 'disposable' stuff on C: i.e Windows and your program files then you can theoretically blow it away and reinstall Windows without affecting your real data on E:

Then you suddenly realise that you somehow forgot to backup C:\inetpub\wwwroot and have just lost all your web development stuff and also all those photos that you'd put on C: for some reason last month, oh, and the stuff from your 'my documents' too.

Comment

OS is best to be kept on a small expendable disk, small partition - this way recovery is much easier.

Comment

Now that HDD's are cheap I'm using 2 x 500Gb HDD's, one for windoze, one for data. No need to have "My Documents" on the C drive. It can be on any drive you want.
            Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
            Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
              Now that HDD's are cheap I'm using 2 x 500Gb HDD's, one for windoze, one for data. No need to have "My Documents" on the C drive. It can be on any drive you want.
              If I were you I'd use them in RAID1 mode, with regular backups onto non-magnatic media.

Comment

/var on a separate slice, you don't want your logs filling up root.

Windows really is utter pants...

Comment

Only reason I partitioned was when my RAID array went above 2TB and Windows couldn't cope.

Got myself a smart new NAS box now which uses a Linux FS and is quite happy with a 3TB partition.

Comment

It can make for quicker backup and restore, depending on how you do your backups, and I find it makes it easier to keep track of things. I also find it helps performance for some things if I use a large(r) block size on my "data" partition.
                    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Working...
                    X