• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IPhone Apps. Has anyone written any?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chef View Post
    Has anyone released apps?
    If so how many?
    What sort of approximate income stream does it provide?
    How much time has been invested for that return?
    Yes, I have, one app for Plan B thats been in the store for ages as a freebie and i'm just about to release a major update to it which is hopefully going to make me some cash via in-app purchases. also working on my first game.

Many months of my spare time invested for a return of £0, BUT, I'm now pretty proficient at Obj-C and iPhone development as a whole so that now opens up more potential for future apps that I can charge for.

Just need ideas that haven't been done yet.

Really glad I went the native route rather than using something like mono or HTML5 web app as it tought me loads and it wouldn't be a big jump for me to develop for Mac desktop now.

Comment

Originally posted by Durbs View Post
      Just need ideas that haven't been done yet.
      One good point I saw recently is that there are a lot of things that have been done, but not done well: by creating an app that really raises the bar in terms of user experience you can gain users of existing products who are fed up with having to use something that is only just good enough.

This should not be interpreted as encouraging anybody to "make a better fart app"

Comment

Does the iPhone ecosystem support a "try for 30 days then pay £2.99 to continue using it" model?

There seem to be a lot of apps you have to pay for, but I rarely download them as I don't really trust the reviews system and if they don't do the job I want then it's a waste of money.
        "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

Originally posted by Freamon View Post
          Does the iPhone ecosystem support a "try for 30 days then pay £2.99 to continue using it" model?

There seem to be a lot of apps you have to pay for, but I rarely download them as I don't really trust the reviews system and if they don't do the job I want then it's a waste of money.
          Not currently AFAIK (sure I heard a while back that this was maybe on the cards)

You'd have to either offer a free Lite version and a paid for Full version or offer a single app for free and then allow purchasing of 'premium' in-app content - seems most of the big money makers are using the latter model so looks like it works.

Know Apple were widely slated for not offering Demo functionality but as far as I can see, the 'Lite' versions ARE effectively demos.

Comment

Working...
          X