• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Computer for me ma

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Computer for me ma

CUK'ers,

Any recommendations on a comp, and internet package for me old ma.

She's only going to use it to email (Some old school friends have got in touch), she is utterly computer illiterate - I'm pretty sure she's never as much as touched a keyboard in her life. She struggles with mobile phones ...

Cheap, and easy - is there an alt solution to buying her a full blown comp with broadband? (Her local library is miles away, so not really an option).

Cheers all.
    Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

http://www.amstrad.com/products/emailers/index.html
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by snaw View Post
      she is utterly computer illiterate
      You could have said the same about my old Ma until she discovered integrating her knitting machines with design software, and then eBay... she's 86

How about one of the netbooks that they give away with a mobile broadband package - you pay in the end but some quite good deals I think, and no need for a landline bb package

R

Comment

How about an Acer Aspire Revo Desktop PC? Would need to buy a monitor separately.

Comment

What's your budget?

Comment

Don't do it!!!

You'll forever be round there replacing accidentally deleted desktop icons, resorting outlook messages by date, being called all hours for non-existent viruses etc.

My favourite was:

"My computer's making a funny noise."
            (This was on the telephone, I could hear a continual loud bleep in the background)
            "Have you got something resting on your keyboard?"
            "No - let me check (shuffle, shuffle). No."
            "OK - switch it off and on again."
            "It is off. I haven't switched it on today."
            "What? It's completely off? No lights anywhere?"
            "Yes - it's off."
            "Are you sure the noise is coming from your computer?"
            "... Oh. It's my alarm clock."

Comment

iMac & a disk for time machine.

Pretty bomb proof, and you can easily lock down her account so she can't do anything silly.

Bargains to be had on the 24" model (now discontinued by apple direct) on ebay.
              ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

I'd avoid the netbooks - small screens and a more mature audience do not mix!

For simplicity, I would look at a laptop with a decent enough screen and keyboard and then put some kind of lightweight Linux on it (similar to the early netbooks before they all went to XP). Move email to a web-based system, e.g. gmail.

Advantages
                - Reduced risk of viruses, so you won't have to worry about fixing that lot and dealing with it all the time
                - If it's just for email, then (although it's a delegation of trust to someone to do it for you) there is no need to do backups

For internet connection, I'd look at a pay as you go dongle - or have a look on moneysavingexpert.com to see what the best deals are for a land-line subscription.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

My Ma is on her second Macbook, conventional broadband connection, but she is very comp literate.

Comment

Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
                    Don't do it!!!

You'll forever be round there replacing accidentally deleted desktop icons, resorting outlook messages by date, being called all hours for non-existent viruses etc.

My favourite was:

"My computer's making a funny noise."
                    (This was on the telephone, I could hear a continual loud bleep in the background)
                    "Have you got something resting on your keyboard?"
                    "No - let me check (shuffle, shuffle). No."
                    "OK - switch it off and on again."
                    "It is off. I haven't switched it on today."
                    "What? It's completely off? No lights anywhere?"
                    "Yes - it's off."
                    "Are you sure the noise is coming from your computer?"
                    "... Oh. It's my alarm clock."

Sounds just like my folks!
                    I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
                    CUK University Challenge Champions 2010