• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Computer for me ma

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Computer for me ma"

Collapse

• NoddY
    replied
    I just gave my mum and dad my old P4 3GHz and put Windows 7 on it.

However, the way it is set up is:

Multiple logons/profiles
    No admin access for them
    A big massive Firefox icon and Thunderdird icon on the desktop, nothing else.
    Start menu cleared out of nearly everything
    Disable automatic 'everything' and notifications
    Remote Desktop for me to update system.

Keep their interface simple.

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied
    Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
    Don't do it!!!

You'll forever be round there replacing accidentally deleted desktop icons, resorting outlook messages by date, being called all hours for non-existent viruses etc.

My favourite was:

"My computer's making a funny noise."
    (This was on the telephone, I could hear a continual loud bleep in the background)
    "Have you got something resting on your keyboard?"
    "No - let me check (shuffle, shuffle). No."
    "OK - switch it off and on again."
    "It is off. I haven't switched it on today."
    "What? It's completely off? No lights anywhere?"
    "Yes - it's off."
    "Are you sure the noise is coming from your computer?"
    "... Oh. It's my alarm clock."

Sounds just like my folks!

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    My Ma is on her second Macbook, conventional broadband connection, but she is very comp literate.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    I'd avoid the netbooks - small screens and a more mature audience do not mix!

For simplicity, I would look at a laptop with a decent enough screen and keyboard and then put some kind of lightweight Linux on it (similar to the early netbooks before they all went to XP). Move email to a web-based system, e.g. gmail.

Advantages
    - Reduced risk of viruses, so you won't have to worry about fixing that lot and dealing with it all the time
    - If it's just for email, then (although it's a delegation of trust to someone to do it for you) there is no need to do backups

For internet connection, I'd look at a pay as you go dongle - or have a look on moneysavingexpert.com to see what the best deals are for a land-line subscription.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    iMac & a disk for time machine.

Pretty bomb proof, and you can easily lock down her account so she can't do anything silly.

Bargains to be had on the 24" model (now discontinued by apple direct) on ebay.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Don't do it!!!

You'll forever be round there replacing accidentally deleted desktop icons, resorting outlook messages by date, being called all hours for non-existent viruses etc.

My favourite was:

"My computer's making a funny noise."
    (This was on the telephone, I could hear a continual loud bleep in the background)
    "Have you got something resting on your keyboard?"
    "No - let me check (shuffle, shuffle). No."
    "OK - switch it off and on again."
    "It is off. I haven't switched it on today."
    "What? It's completely off? No lights anywhere?"
    "Yes - it's off."
    "Are you sure the noise is coming from your computer?"
    "... Oh. It's my alarm clock."

Leave a comment:

• TroubleAtMill
    replied
    What's your budget?

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied
    How about an Acer Aspire Revo Desktop PC? Would need to buy a monitor separately.

Leave a comment:

• Halcyon
    replied
    Originally posted by snaw View Post
    she is utterly computer illiterate
    You could have said the same about my old Ma until she discovered integrating her knitting machines with design software, and then eBay... she's 86

How about one of the netbooks that they give away with a mobile broadband package - you pay in the end but some quite good deals I think, and no need for a landline bb package

R

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    http://www.amstrad.com/products/emailers/index.html

Leave a comment:

• snaw
    started a topic Computer for me ma

Computer for me ma

CUK'ers,

Any recommendations on a comp, and internet package for me old ma.

She's only going to use it to email (Some old school friends have got in touch), she is utterly computer illiterate - I'm pretty sure she's never as much as touched a keyboard in her life. She struggles with mobile phones ...

Cheap, and easy - is there an alt solution to buying her a full blown comp with broadband? (Her local library is miles away, so not really an option).

Cheers all.

Working...
X