• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ubuntu...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by administrator View Post
    http://ubuntuforums.org/

1,278,435 Threads - all of them saying RTFM of course
    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

I have Ubuntu Netbook Remix on my netbook, funnily enough. I think it's great
      ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

currently running kubuntu netbook remix on me netbook, working sweet as a nut!
        Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

I've now installed it from a Windows prompt rather than a straight dual boot, working a treat.

Installing on a partition from cold caused all sorts of issues, chkdsk kept running every time I booted to XP and I didn't like the fact it hijacked the MBR.

Liking it now.
          Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

wouldn't it have been easier to install Microsoft Virtual PC and run Ubuntu as a virtual machine ?

Comment

Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
              wouldn't it have been easier to install VMWare Player and run Ubuntu as a virtual machine ?
              FTFY

http://www.vmware.com/products/player/

It's free and also I did not have to burn off the ISO - installed straight from it.

Comment

I tried Ubuntu and Kubuntu on a T60p and had a number of problems. Running Debian (lenny) was no problem apart from the wireless but Mint was particularly good although KMint was crap. I like KDE but the newer versions cause me no end of problems and I find it is particularly slow unless you have a good graphics card. I tend to try out all the different distributions under VMWare first to see what they're like before going for a full install on a system.
                Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by administrator View Post
                  FTFY

http://www.vmware.com/products/player/

It's free and also I did not have to burn off the ISO - installed straight from it.
                  As is virtual PC 2007 - I just downloaded the ISO, placed it on a shared drive and bingo done.

Comment

I've got VMware player on my PC but it runs like a dog (P4 2.0Ghz 768mb RAM)... there was no way I was going to use it on my laptop, (Centrino 1.8 with 512Mb RAM).

I need newer kit, but I need a contract first.
                    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
                      As is virtual PC 2007 - I just downloaded the ISO, placed it on a shared drive and bingo done.
                      No way! Did not know they were giving that away these days. Thanks, will give it a go next time

Comment

Working...
                      X