• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

ASP.NET blog app

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ASP.NET blog app

A client wants me to add 'Blog' capability to a site i've written for them.

I started to code this up then dropped it due to other projects taking preference. The guy now wants this finished asap so i was thinking there must be plenty of 'Off the shelf' .NET blog apps out there or indeed any technology as long as i can make it appear branded as part of his site.

Anyone know a decent Blog stylee app i can drop in there very quickly (have no time available to write one and there's also no real money in it to justify my time if i did)? He doesn't want any fancy features, just the ability to add diary style entries and images.

Looking around there seem to be a few about but not sure which are worth a try.

Ta.
    Last edited by Durbs; 18 January 2010, 19:33.

I wanted to have a go at putting up a blog. I found WordPress (which half the planet seems to be using) to be trivially easy to set up. Link.

Failing that, link or link.
    Last edited by RichardCranium; 18 January 2010, 19:53.
    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Im fairly certain wordpress isn't .NET

TM

Comment

Tell him to use hosted solution - on wordpress, blogspot etc, or get twitter account, or both.

Comment

What they said.

It's REALLY not worth re-inventing the wheel and if they want their blog to be indexed quickly, they pretty much have to use one of the big names. You can easily make it look like part of their site if they are worried about branding.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
            Failing that, link or link.
            Wordpress would be perfect but its PHP and i'm never installing that on a Windoze box again.

Want to steer clear of the hosted solution really to keep things clean and together. Those Wiki links turned up:

http://www.subtextproject.com/

So going to have a play with that tonight.

Also found http://demo.dasblog.info/ but given the top of that demo looks a bit ropey on my Mac i'll try the SubText one first.

Comment

Another one to look at.

http://www.dotnetblogengine.net/

Comment

Originally posted by Durbs View Post
                Wordpress would be perfect but its PHP and i'm never installing that on a Windoze box again.
                I don't know when you last tried it (and I found it a bit of a pig when I tried several years ago) but Microsoft now support PHP on IIS so that might still be an option.

The DasBlog people really have made an utter pigs ear of that demo template Amusingly, a glance at the source shows that it uses open source JavaScript functions written by two friends of mine

Others have spoken well of DotNetNuke.
                Last edited by NickFitz; 21 January 2010, 20:27.

Comment

Working...
                X