• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

WI-FI Printer/scanner Recommendation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Toolpusher
    My reasoning at the time was that I would essentially be paying for printing based on usage, rather than the significantly higher initial capital expenditure for the hardware (in the case of a laser device). By the way, colour toner cartridges aren't exactly cheap either.
    But you get a tulip load more use out of them.
    Unless you buy a cheap Samsung colour laser printer, whose cartridges produce piss poor quality prints and last for about 3 months of light usage.

HP Laser or Canon Inkjet would be my current recommendations. I used to love Epson Inkjets but went off them after buying a DX4200 that basically fell apart after about 9 months.
    Still Invoicing

Comment

I looked at wireless multifunctions and was considering Canon MX860. In the end I went for the MX850 which is wired rather than wireless and I connect to it using a Homeplug.

It does everything including built in duplex printing and DVD printing. The 860 is pretty much the same (no DVD print) but also wireless.

The main reason for choosing this model even though it was the same price as the MX860 was the availability of cheap third party ink on ebay etc. This may now be available for the wireless model too.

Take a look at the specs:

MX860

MX850
      Last edited by gadgetman; 12 January 2010, 09:59.

Comment

I use a Brother DCP-340CW and find it excellent. It can have times when borderless A4 photo prints have some bands across the picture but putting it into it's cleaning mode fixes this.

Ian

Comment

Originally posted by gadgetman View Post
          I looked at wireless multifunctions and was considering Canon MX860. In the end I went for the MX850 which is wired rather than wireless and I connect to it using a Homeplug.

It does everything including built in duplex printing and DVD printing. The 860 is pretty much the same (no DVD print) but also wireless.

The main reason for choosing this model even though it was the same price as the MX860 was the availability of cheap third party ink on ebay etc. This may now be available for the wireless model too.

Take a look at the specs:

MX860

MX850
          Thanks, I'd already done some spec comparisons on the canon and epson websites, was just wondering what people have found consistent.

Now just need to find somewhere that stocks them so I can look at the actual product before buying it somewhere cheaper online
          "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by Toolpusher
            My reasoning at the time was that I would essentially be paying for printing based on usage, rather than the significantly higher initial capital expenditure for the hardware (in the case of a laser device). By the way, colour toner cartridges aren't exactly cheap either.
            If the capital cost of a printer is a concern, get a monochrome laser. I bought one about 15 months ago for just over a hundred quid, including a spare toner cartridge which I haven't cracked open yet, and I do print 250 page manuals quite frequently.

Apart from the cost, inkjet cartridges represent hassle due to Sod's Law; they always expire when you are trying to hit the post office before it closes, or on a Sunday evening when the shops are shut (only applies when you are down to the last one of course).
            Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
              Am avoiding Lexmark and HP, looking more at some of the Canon models and possibly Epson.
              Wise move. I bought Cannons after I found out they had removable print heads. I had an Epson that got a blocked print head and that was the end of the printer.

I bought an HP C4480 all in one as I wanted something that was compatible with Linux. I installed the HPLIP drivers as per the instructions and all worked superbly. Then after a reboot, it have never worked.

So all in all I have had truly bad experiences with

Epson
              HP
              Lexmark

But my little Cannon was a gem.
              Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

I presently have good experience with 4 x HP printers. 1 LAN wired colour laser, 1 photo printer, 1 MFD and 1 WiFi MFD. Always best to pay extra for HP ink and toner, a lot more reliable.

I have tried a not liked-

Lexmark (the ink cost a fortune and iffy build quality).
                Epson (used to carry on squirting ink regardless to the end of the job if the paper ever misfed and hence made huge inky messes to clean up).
                Brother (disastrous reliability and zero customer support).
                Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Working...
                X