• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New set up - Email, Domain users etc

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New set up - Email, Domain users etc

What is the best (and cheapest i.e. free where poss) way to set up a Domain server for user management, email (exchange style with calendars etc), server storage (shared and personal drives etc) for up to 10 users.

The majority of PCs are Windows Vista and 7 and couple of Macs. Happy to run linux as a server but would like GUIs where poss (its a while since i've been fully technical!).

Any suggestions from the crowd out there please?

Cheers,
    Gary
    I didn't say it was your ******* fault, I said I was blaming you!

Windows SBS?

Comment

I would suggest a flick through http://www.howtoforge.com/

They have a bunch of tutorials for setting up various services on Linux boxes

Now more in line with what you actually asked for have a look at the following:

Zivios (gui based LDAP, still in fairly early stages but looks promising)
      Darwin Calendar Server (iCal based calendar server for shared calendars)
      postfix/courier for e-mail (IMAP is the way forward)
      Squirrelmail for webmail

May require a bit of tweaking to get it all working properly though and will probably take some time.

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
        Not bad that, and all in for about £800 with 10 cals... could be the perfect solution!

Will still have a nosey to see what Ardesco has put up, i need to compare the effort required... I know more MS people who would help me out for a couple of days!

Comment

Originally posted by scooby View Post
          Not bad that, and all in for about £800 with 10 cals... could be the perfect solution!

Will still have a nosey to see what Ardesco has put up, i need to compare the effort required... I know more MS people who would help me out for a couple of days!
          No worries - main reason for the recommendation was because if you need info on installation/support you should find it readily on the web quite easily.

If you don't mind me asking, is this for a private work on the side?
          If so, how did you go about getting it?

Comment

What about Google Apps for Domains? As long as you trust Google and its Cloud (tm).

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
              If you don't mind me asking, is this for a private work on the side?
              If so, how did you go about getting it?
              nope, this is more of personal project. I'm going in to business with a few others. We currently have no server and are all working off individual laptops.

I want to make the step to sharing info, backing up, and remote access etc.

Comment

Originally posted by scooby View Post
                nope, this is more of personal project. I'm going in to business with a few others. We currently have no server and are all working off individual laptops.

I want to make the step to sharing info, backing up, and remote access etc.
                If you go the M$ route, consider the Action Pack

All you can eat for £199 PA + VAT

Comment

Originally posted by ctdctd View Post
                  If you go the M$ route, consider the Action Pack

All you can eat for £199 PA + VAT
                  havent we been through this and that is it for test purposes only?

Comment

Sorry, internal, not test

Comment

Working...
                    X