• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Calling all Linux bods - Help!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Calling all Linux bods - Help!

As you might have read in General, my PC has died and I trying to retrieve data from it before I reinstall for Mr C and get myself a Mac.

I'm a technical numpty although have used Linux as a simple user and have never attacked a PC with a screwdriver (things might change over the next couple of days, however...)

I've got a Linux CD distro in at the moment.

Should I just jump in and run NTFSFIX as it suggests or is there anything I need to consider?
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Job done - retrieved the data.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."

Comment

So what happened? NTFSFIX worked? Data then retrieved using Windows?

(Useful to know, jobs like this come my way every now and again).

Comment

I honestly don't know Platypus.

I spent 2 solid hours exclusively on Windows XP and it wouldn't budge past the Windows Login.

It wouldn't go into System Restore.
        It wouldn't go into Safe Mode.
        It hung after the 3rd stage of CKDSK.

I went around in circles with that.

The last thing I did last night was to put a Linux CD in and boot that up. I couldn't read the Storage Media - it suggested NTFSFIX.

This morning Paddy suggested using Windows Recovery Console so I did (from the Windows XP CD-ROM).
        All I did there was to go to the Window directory and have a look at it (dir). I then went up to the root directory and had a look at that.

Since I'm not a DOS bod I decided to exit out of WRC and go back to the Linux CD and use NTFSFIX - before that I decided to try to reboot the PC on it's own with no CDs one last time.

And it worked.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
          I honestly don't know Platypus.

I spent 2 solid hours exclusively on Windows XP and it wouldn't budge past the Windows Login.

It wouldn't go into System Restore.
          It wouldn't go into Safe Mode.
          It hung after the 3rd stage of CKDSK.

I went around in circles with that.

The last thing I did last night was to put a Linux CD in and boot that up. I couldn't read the Storage Media - it suggested NTFSFIX.

This morning Paddy suggested using Windows Recovery Console so I did (from the Windows XP CD-ROM).
          All I did there was to go to the Window directory and have a look at it (dir). I then went up to the root directory and had a look at that.

Since I'm not a DOS bod I decided to exit out of WRC and go back to the Linux CD and use NTFSFIX - before that I decided to try to reboot the PC on it's own with no CDs one last time.

And it worked.

that's a neat trick.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
            And it worked.
            Result

Glad you got it fixed - now get a replacement hard drive!

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
              Result

Glad you got it fixed - now get a replacement hard drive!
              Will do!

Comment

I misread the thread title as:

"Culling all Linux bods"

Harsh but fair I thought.

Comment

Working...
                X