• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

.Net 2.0 on Windows 7

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

.Net 2.0 on Windows 7

Just got my new Windows 7 computer and need to check if my education programs work on it.

Not much on net yet. I had written a lot of specific questions but then one assumes dotnetfx will properly detect a later version is present (assuming my instal fails to do so before dotnetfx runs) and not screw anything up so I may as well just try it.

Anyone got any exerience of upgrading and packaging dotnet progs for windows 7? Any problems to look out for? They are written in VS 2005, instal uses Inno Setup and currently includes dotnetfx 2.05.

Much ta.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Windows 7 should have .NET 3.5 by default, maybe even with .NET 3.5 SP1.

Comment

you might need to install your application-specific version of .net. it's configured in the app/web.config file to whatever version you successfully compiled against. best would be to upgrade the app to 3.5sp1 which is usually pretty painless...class libraries might have moved, been renamed etc but resharper is a great help with this as well as any other refactoring you might have to do.

Comment

Ta for answers.

Bit more checking to do but both the new .net and the old VB6 programs instal and run fine. Rather surprised that instal properly detected that a suitable .net is already present as the line in the script looked very version specific.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
        X