• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Times website 404 errors via Opera browser

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Times website 404 errors via Opera browser

Bit of a longshot, but does anyone else experience the following problem when browsing The Times website via the Opera browser:

If you click on a link, you get a 404 page error.
    The error is the Times own 404 error stating that the page could not be loaded.

This happens regularly when browsing the site using Opera but there is no logic as to when it will happen so you could go through a whole session of viewing pages without issue but at other times it could happen on every other link you click.

Sometimes, refreshing the page succeeds in displaying the page but more often than not, it doesn't.

Bizarrely, if I copy and paste the offending link into IE where the page displays without issue and then go back to Opera and refresh the 404 page, the page will then display!!

I get this behaviour on a couple of different (Vista) PC's.

A search via Google and of the Opera KB has proved fruitless but surely I can't be the only one affected?

(Obviously, the workaround is to use IE when browsing The Times website but, at the time of writing, am particularly frustrated by having to do this!)

Edit: Just found a forum on Operas website with some entries of other users with similar problems. Grr, why won't CUK let you delete threads if they don't have any replies??
    Last edited by Clippy; 1 November 2009, 16:40.

Now that you mention it, I've been getting 404 errors on the Times site as well. I can't say definitively that it was when I was using Opera, but it could well have been.

I'll take note of them in future.
    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

I keep getting them on Firefox - I said this is a major balls up by their web designers, I even reported it to them months ago but all to no avail.

Comment

I was going to kick myself for posting this problem on here without investigating thoroughly myself beforehand but thanks to sysman and atw for confirming I am not going mad in being the only one with this problem.

Anyway, looks like other Opera users are also affected - see below links:

1) Thread & Specific post with solution

2) Thread & Specific post with solution.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
          I keep getting them on Firefox - I said this is a major balls up by their web designers, I even reported it to them months ago but all to no avail.
          Diplomacy Alexey...

To be honest, after a scrap with the Telegraph's web folks back when Hollinger were in charge and a later one with the Beeb, I don't bother reporting errors to large news sites any more. These folks can be extremely arrogant.
          Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

No (ok in Firefox, Opera), but then I am using Linux

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
              I haven't noticed any problems with Firefox (3.0.5)
              +50 Xeno Geek Points
              Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
              As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
                I haven't noticed any problems with Firefox (3.0.5)
                I use 2.0.x...

Comment

No but The Independent keeps freezing up in IE, some hogging script. Or maybe IE is just annoyed at the liberal lefty drivel.
                  bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                  John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

They should rewrite the site in Kernel mode C.

HTH
                    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Working...
                    X