• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Using gmail on a public (e.g client) PC

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using gmail on a public (e.g client) PC

Does gmail send information that can can easily be read by someone looking through server logs? For instance will they be able to see the username/password I login with, and the email text I send? Or does gmail encypt it somehow, and all they can see is a bunch of AJAX calls telling them I am logged in to some gmail account?

I don't do much browsing at all on client site, but checking my mail would be handy. Mobile reception is virtually non-existent so until I get a booster for my wireless dongle, I'm not able to provide my own internet connection.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

It's https, so should be quite secure. Though if it's a client's PC I guess they could probably snoop on your keystrokes if they really wanted to.

I switched to using GMail because at my last client Zen's webmail client wouldn't work for some reason, and I couldn't get a phone signal.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

If you really want to see what your browser is sending and receiving download Fiddler.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
        It's https, so should be quite secure. Though if it's a client's PC I guess they could probably snoop on your keystrokes if they really wanted to.
        Nah, they're not anal about it at all. I just want to make sure in the event they look at the logs they can't see my emails as some business emails come to my personal accounts sometimes.

Comment

All they need is your cookie.

Comment

Originally posted by dinker View Post
            All they need is your cookie.
            Can they see that from server logs? If not then using private browsing should be ok, or not selecting "remember my details".

Comment

Make sure you select "Always use https" in the Gmail options. Then you'll be fine.

Client could always install a keylogger on their machines, but they could land in serious trouble for this.
              Cats are evil.

Comment

Working...
              X