• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Regexp help

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Regexp help

I'm trying to spit a string and it wants a regexp to specify the delimeter.

The delimeter should be " - " as in <space>-<space>.

I have tried \\s-\\s but that still gives me the odd error.

Anyone know how to exactly specify the delimeter?

Cheers.

try

Code:
    [ ]-[ ]
    Thats a space inside the square brackets

you can also use

Code:
    [:space:]-[:space:]
    I've not had any problems with the former method
    Last edited by Spacecadet; 22 October 2009, 11:40.
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Which regex implementation are you using? \s-\s works for me™ in JDK, Jakarta-ORO Perl 5, Jakarta-ORO AWK, JRegex and Jakarta-Regexp implementations.

Comment

JDK 1.7.

It seems to work OK for 100 examples then just barfs on one through no other apparent reason that the regexp.

Ill try the others after me lunch.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
          JDK 1.7.

It seems to work OK for 100 examples then just barfs on one through no other apparent reason that the regexp.

Ill try the others after me lunch.
          Check that the failing one is really what it seems to be. If it has, say, an en-dash (–) instead of a hyphen (-)...

Comment

System.out.println( teamNames );
            String[] splitNames = teamNames.split("\\s-\\s") ;
            System.out.println( splitNames.length );
            System.out.println( splitNames[0] );
            Gives

name1 - name2
            name1 - name2
            Arrghh

Even went as far as copying the dash out of the debugger and also from the console to make sure the thing was the same as I was looking for.

I have discovered the ones that work do come from a different list and I can repeat the fail on everyone from the other list. No idea why that is though, the chars look the same.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
              I have discovered the ones that work do come from a different list and I can repeat the fail on everyone from the other list. No idea why that is though, the chars look the same.
              Hyphen-minus is 0x2d, en dash is 0x2013. Time for a hex dump

Comment

Ahh, the ones that work have " - " in their data but the ones that fail have &nbsp;-&nbsp;.

I am reading the XML data into a DOM then going through it but it looks like the 2 are not working the same even though they come out as spaces for both when I look at them in the debugger.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                  Hyphen-minus is 0x2d, en dash is 0x2013. Time for a hex dump
                  just going to do that.

Comment

The spaces comeout as 0xa0 if the come from a 'real' space and 0x20 if the come from a &nbsp;

I put the XML through JTidy to get the DOM.

Never even know there were 2 types of space and the debugger clearly never knew the difference.

Recon i'm jusy going to replace all the 0x20 to 0xa0s

Cheers.

Comment

Working...
                    X