• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Virtual/Dedicated hosting is more expensive than I thought...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Virtual/Dedicated hosting is more expensive than I thought...

GoDaddy (who I thought were well-regarded for quality & cost) want to charge £250/month for their 'premium' system: 2.8Ghz Intel Quad-core, 4Gb RAM, 600Gb disk-space. That seems a pretty unremarkable spec for a 'premium' server, and that cost doesn't include backups or any licenses other than Windows.

It just seems really expensive for nothing much, other than their connection to a very fast web connection. I never looked into dedicated servers before, is this about right?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    GoDaddy (who I thought were well-regarded for quality & cost) want to charge £250/month for their 'premium' system: 2.8Ghz Intel Quad-core, 4Gb RAM, 600Gb disk-space. That seems a pretty unremarkable spec for a 'premium' server, and that cost doesn't include backups or any licenses other than Windows.

It just seems really expensive for nothing much, other than their connection to a very fast web connection. I never looked into dedicated servers before, is this about right?

fasthosts - very cheap and does the job

Comment

and you can get cashback through topcashback.com
      In case of emergency, break dance.

Comment

Originally posted by Liability View Post
        fasthosts - very cheap and does the job
        have been using fasthosts for a number of years, recently I've been reviewing
        other providers currently hetzner are offering better servers the basic linux
        option is 49euros about 45gbp, just need to read the small print.....

Comment

My personal favourite is Slicehost

Comment

Don't forget to look at bandwidth charges too.

http://www.fasthosts.co.uk/dedicated...ted-bandwidth/

Fasthosts are cheaper and there are no bandwidth charges.

Also, do you REALLY need a server that powerful?

http://www.fasthosts.co.uk/dedicated...ds500-windows/

Comment

I use bytemark for my virtual linux server. Looks like they do Windows. Never had a problem.

I originally started out with a 123 (WebFusion) virtual environment and it was an absolute disaster. 1st line support had no idea what to do and would never allow you to take to 3rd line. Cancelled the contract within a couple of months.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                Don't forget to look at bandwidth charges too.

http://www.fasthosts.co.uk/dedicated...ted-bandwidth/

Fasthosts are cheaper and there are no bandwidth charges.

Also, do you REALLY need a server that powerful?

http://www.fasthosts.co.uk/dedicated...ds500-windows/
                Fasthosts are WAY cheaper... makes me wonder what the catch is. About 1/2 the cost for the equivalent of the Godaddy spec (DS700). For normal hosting, Fasthosts get panned everywhere I look... sounds like dedicated services are better.

And no I probably don't need quite such a good spec, it was just for comparison purposes.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I've had a server with Register1 (a sister company of ServerStream - a provider of managed servers for many major online brands) for a few years now. I can highly recommend the service, but I'm not sure how they compare to Fasthosts for spec/value. Their best deals require you to take a long term contract, which may be prohibitive to some.
                  Last edited by voodooflux; 22 October 2009, 07:47.
                  Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

Working...
                  X