• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Shiny new Macs released yesterday

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wondering what all the fuss about Mac's is about I built one from a spare PC today. Other than the black case it's to all intents and purposes a Mac.

It's even got a console and I can play with command line stuff as usual. So what else can I do with it?
    Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
      Wondering what all the fuss about Mac's is about I built one from a spare PC today. Other than the black case it's to all intents and purposes a Mac.

It's even got a console and I can play with command line stuff as usual. So what else can I do with it?
      Well HAB says that they are useful if you are walking up Kelvin Way on a dark night.

Comment

Cool. You have your very own Hackintosh.

[quote[It's even got a console and I can play with command line stuff as usual. So what else can I do with it?[/QUOTE]Pretty much the same as Windows. If you use iTunes it should seem much better.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          Cool. You have your very own Hackintosh.
          It is pretty cool indeed. Part of my job is testing music / audio software and it occured to me that I have all the Mac versions as well as Windows. Installed just about all of it and yes it does the same as Windows.

So now I have XP, Win7, Mac & Linux machines all doing some kind of job, all connected to the NAS and working flawlessly
          Me, me, me...

Comment

It is pretty cool indeed. Part of my job is testing music / audio software and it occured to me that I have all the Mac versions as well as Windows. Installed just about all of it and yes it does the same as Windows.

So now I have XP, Win7, Mac & Linux machines all doing some kind of job, all connected to the NAS and working flawlessly
            But it's not a Mac. It's a bunch of thrown-together circuit-boards and components in a tin box with sharp edges.

It might run OS X, after a fashion, but a Mac - it is not.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
              But it's not a Mac. It's a bunch of thrown-together circuit-boards and components in a tin box with sharp edges.

So it's useless unless it's a design statement
              Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post

There's an online community who dedicate themselves to building PCs using off-the-shelf components which will properly run MacOS, it's entirely possible.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Bought one of those magic mouse's today.

Taking it back tomorrow. The profile is too low, I have this uncomfortable void under the palm of my hand.

Also expose function is lost and I'm lost without it.... huge interruption in my day to day user experience.
                  "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                    Bought one of those magic mouse's today.

Taking it back tomorrow. The profile is too low, I have this uncomfortable void under the palm of my hand.

Also expose function is lost and I'm lost without it.... huge interruption in my day to day user experience.
                    I like mine - the low profile was funny at first but I'm used to it now. Never use the mouse for expose, as I use hot corners. I do use the multitouch all the time though
                    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                      Use Console.app from an admin account to look for signs of stuff crashing.

If you prefer the command line interface, look in /var/log/system.log
                      Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
                      X