• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Currency and JAVA

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Currency and JAVA

I thought I would quickly ask here before going too deep. I'm not a Java person and have a small problem with a system (this is WebSphere Portal running under Linux) where an application was deployed and for Germany the currency should look like:

but is showing:

I believe that somewhere there must be setting to change this to do with Java as on other systems it is okay (searching through settings on them now.) The only thing I can think of is that on one of the systems last week I changed the JVM to be UTF-8 deom ISO-8859-1 so that it would do all the ä, ö, ü, etc but I don't think that is what it is...
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

You can provide the JVM with a default language. That is,

java -Duser.language=de <other options>

However (as I experienced this week) it may screw with your Oracle JDBC driver as it will try to load configuration that expects the DB server to be in that language. Stupid Oracle

Comment

Originally posted by TroubleAtMill View Post
      You can provide the JVM with a default language. That is,

java -Duser.language=de <other options>

However (as I experienced this week) it may screw with your Oracle JDBC driver as it will try to load configuration that expects the DB server to be in that language. Stupid Oracle
      Thanks for that, not too sure if that would fix this problem though. Just have to try or:

-Duser.language=de -Duser.country=DE (and possibly) -Dclient.encoding.override=UTF-8

passed to the JVM, which is everything! BTW, using DB2 on zOS here which shouldn't cause any problems
      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
        I thought I would quickly ask here before going too deep. I'm not a Java person and have a small problem with a system (this is WebSphere Portal running under Linux) where an application was deployed and for Germany the currency should look like:

but is showing:

I believe that somewhere there must be setting to change this to do with Java as on other systems it is okay (searching through settings on them now.) The only thing I can think of is that on one of the systems last week I changed the JVM to be UTF-8 deom ISO-8859-1 so that it would do all the ä, ö, ü, etc but I don't think that is what it is...
        IBM JVM should support the env variables listed here - http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...r/env_jvm.html
        Setting LANG will probably work. But this will change your default locale. Not sure whether you want that.

Comment

java.util.Locale and java.text.NumberFormat's getCurrencyInstance method?

Code:
          NumberFormat de = NumberFormat.getCurrencyInstance(Locale.GERMAN);
          String deCash = de.format(1234.99);
          (I have no idea if this works - I just googled a bit...)

Comment

This is the sort of thing that's built-in in .NET but no doubt broken in Java.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
              This is the sort of thing that's built-in in .NET but no doubt broken in Java.

And, as I've pointed out, it's built-in in Java and has been for donkey's years

Comment

All good suggestions but not quite where I'm coming from. I'm just trying to work out what parameter I should pass to the JVM to get it to display the correct currency format. The actual language and other characters (umlauts, Euro, etc.) are all being displayed correctly. In WebSphere there is the options to pass parameters to the JVM which I did with other servers to override the ISO character set with UTF-8 but this one looks slightly different. Will continue working on it, cheers...

Comment

Surely it's:

1.234,56?

tim

Comment

All good suggestions but not quite where I'm coming from. I'm just trying to work out what parameter I should pass to the JVM to get it to display the correct currency format. The actual language and other characters (umlauts, Euro, etc.) are all being displayed correctly. In WebSphere there is the options to pass parameters to the JVM which I did with other servers to override the ISO character set with UTF-8 but this one looks slightly different. Will continue working on it, cheers...
                    IIRC our funny business in this area uses a windows system value.

Dunno if that's any help to you or not...
                    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Working...
                    X