• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New 1.5 Terabyte hard drive

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New 1.5 Terabyte hard drive

just can't decide how to partition it.

FFS have 3TB in total at home now. I reckon 2025 to hit the petabyte mark.

Originally posted by bobhope View Post
    just can't decide how to partition it.

FFS have 3TB in total at home now. I reckon 2025 to hit the petabyte mark.
    I remember the story in the trade press where NatWest boasted they had one terabyte online (i.e. available on tape) making them the no 1 in the UK for online storage.

I've just realised: 'online' has changed meaning. We would have said "wired" back in the day instead of online.

Partitioning: what did you buy the drive for? Backing up your other 1.5Tb of disks? Have it mirror their capacities.
    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
      I remember the story in the trade press where NatWest boasted they had one terabyte online (i.e. available on tape) making them the no 1 in the UK for online storage.

I've just realised: 'online' has changed meaning. We would have said "wired" back in the day instead of online.

Partitioning: what did you buy the drive for? Backing up your other 1.5Tb of disks? Have it mirror their capacities.

Problem with huge drives is backing the data up on the buggers. I tend to run with a small OS drive and have two larger same sized data storage drives mirrored. Lost a few hard disks in the past and although mirrored drives are not the cheapest backup method, it is at least hassle free and done at the hardware level. if the OS drive dies I`ll just buy another and build the OS from scratch happy to know at least my data is safe

Comment

Out of curiosity when was that?
        Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
          Last week, judging by the way they deal with my account

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
            That would have been in Computing and/or Computer Weekly somewhere between 1984 and 1987. I remember being the only one in the office who knew what the 'Tera-' (and peta and femto) prefix meant.

It was the total of the capacity of all their disk drives and all their reel-to-reel magnetic tape drives.
            My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

That would have been in Computing and/or Computer Weekly somewhere between 1984 and 1987. I remember being the only one in the office who knew what the 'Tera-' (and peta and femto) prefix meant.

It was the total of the capacity of all their disk drives and all their reel-to-reel magnetic tape drives.
              Wow. You must be really old.

Barclays still don't have anything available on online banking more going back more than a couple of months, something that hasn't changed despite storage now being riduclously cheap. I don't understand why I can't access all my accounts going back to the dawn of time, or at least since the start of internet banking. The amount of data required must be piddly compared to a single video file for example.

I've been looking at hard disks (because I thought the one in my desktop might be dying). £60 for 7200 rpm 1TB drive - it's barely worth the effort buying less than 1TB.
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                Wow. You must be really old.

I've been looking at hard disks (because I thought the one in my desktop might be dying). £60 for 7200 rpm 1TB drive - it's barely worth the effort buying less than 1TB.
                When I last sought a replacement 10Gb drive for my laptop, I had to make do with a 120Gb drive instead as it was the smallest the shop could find out the back.

My weakness is that if I have the disk space, I use it ... but then you need to back it up somehow...

Comment

Going back a little further to about 1980 there was another large company* putting their mainframe hardware spec and disk capacity into job adverts. "Come and work for us, we've got lots of disk space" did have a certain appeal when you spent a lot of time fighting for the stuff.

* Hambro Life (Later Allied Dunbar) were doing this, but there was another one with a household name which escapes me at the moment.

Comment

Might as well go for more than one and make sure you have backups. How long does it take to backup that sort of capacity on a reasonably specified home/office system?

Comment

Working...
                    X