• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New 1.5 Terabyte hard drive

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    Might as well go for more than one and make sure you have backups. How long does it take to backup that sort of capacity on a reasonably specified home/office system?
    Good point, and it looks like I have hardware RAID 1 support too.

It occurs to me that with these levels of storage, maybe the file system/OS should be keeping every version of every file ever. That'd be a great feature to have built into the OS (or maybe it is already and I haven't noticed).
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
      It occurs to me that with these levels of storage, maybe the file system/OS should be keeping every version of every file ever. That'd be a great feature to have built into the OS (or maybe it is already and I haven't noticed).
      OpenVMS is the operating system for you then, sir.

Comment

Good point, and it looks like I have hardware RAID 1 support too.

I think that Sun's ZFS has some kind of snapshot facility and there is something for Linux called timevault? Don't know if that is what you were thinking about.
        McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
        Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
          I think that Sun's ZFS has some kind of snapshot facility and there is something for Linux called timevault? Don't know if that is what you were thinking about.
          I've just started playing with Apple's Time Machine, According to the marketing fluff:

Time Machine works with your Mac and an external hard drive. Just connect the drive and assign it to Time Machine and you’re a step closer to enjoying peace of mind. Time Machine will automatically back up your entire Mac, including system files, applications, accounts, preferences, music, photos, movies, and documents. But what makes Time Machine different from other backup applications is that it not only keeps a spare copy of every file, it remembers how your system looked on a given day — so you can revisit your Mac as it appeared in the past.
          For the Windows folks, what's the state of Windows Home Server two years on?
          Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by bobhope View Post
            just can't decide how to partition it.

FFS have 3TB in total at home now. I reckon 2025 to hit the petabyte mark.
            SKA uses over 100 TB during index build process.

Comment

It occurs to me that with these levels of storage, maybe the file system/OS should be keeping every version of every file ever.
              That's what we said when The Management treated us to a £5,000 20Mb external drive for our main development machine.
              My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                SKA uses over 100 TB during index build process.

640 Terabytes should be enough for anybody
                Sysman 2009

Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
                X