• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can't work out best way of upgrading PC

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't work out best way of upgrading PC

I have a 5 yr old HP media center PC with a PTGD1-LA motherboard and 2.8 GHz Pentium 4 (not HT).

I've done almost everything bar reformatting the drive to make it faster but its still too slow starting services (after logging in, despite disabling non-essential ones and cutting down all the junk that starts automatically) and browsing using IE8. Using word and excel is as fast as it ever was.

It could be the virus checker slowing it down, that's the next thing for me to try by disabling some of the checks, also I have been told Google Chrome is lighting fast.

Its only a PC for the kids now anyway, but they do not like waiting ages for it to be ready to usable, they use it for web browsing, some MS office stuff and the young kids games (Disney stuff mostly). Also I use the video capture card for transferring old VHS onto the PC (I've got a huge backlog of camera recordings to transfer).

Its running XP Media Center with 1 GB of memory.

So I tried browsing the web to see what would make a worthwhile but inexpensive upgrade - seems a waste of good peripherals to be buying a new one.

The last BIOS update HP issued was in 2006 and only covered Intel Pentiums upto that time, so putting in a dual core Pentium I think will not work (the recent E5400 seemed like a worthwhile socket 775 upgrade). The older CPU upgrades I do not think will make much difference at all - it seems like these days you need dual core - one core for all the background rubbish like firewall, virus checker etc and the other for the 'real' work you want to do!

Problem is that I have no idea how to choose a new motherboard, all I know is I would need a Micro-ATX, but then what socket type should I choose? I don't want to spend more than £150 or so on a motherboard, CPU and 1G memory if possible (I'm assuming the original memory will not be compatible with the new board).

I can't seem to find a site that can explain this simply or clearly only loads of different motherboards listed.

The alternative is that I just turn the machine into a file server stored in the attic, managed remotely and rip out the DVD writer, TV capture card, multi-card reader etc to put into a new PC but a new PC for the kids to last the next 5 years is not going to cost less than £400 or so which I can't afford right now.

Any pointers to a good web site welcome!
    Last edited by MPwannadecentincome; 19 September 2009, 00:31.
    This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

I'd try three things:-

1) Up the memory to 2GB
    2) Defrag the hard disk a couple of times
    3) Set it to hiberbnate to disc instead of shutting down when you push the power button

Hibernate option is in Control Panel > Power > Hibernate
    You still need a proper reboot for updates and if it grinds to a halt but I find return from hibernation much quicker normally.

If they don't help, splash the cash and get a new one!

HTH

Comment

Motherboard bundles:

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/bundles.html

Comment

ctdctd, why would a defrag have to be done twice?
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

you can buy a complete new computer for 200 quid

why are you p1ssing around upgrading a 5 year old one?

tim

Comment

Add memory, and do a clean install of Windows 7.

Comment

Buy a new one.

Adding memory wont make your old pc run that much faster unless you've got ridiculously low RAM already and are going to add a ridiculous amount of new memory which, your pc \ processor being out of date, probably wont make much difference.

Stuff like dumping all temp files, clearing cache etc etc has minimal effect.

Bottom line is your pc is OLD.
              I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by dinker View Post
                Thanks for that. I might make use of that myself. I used to have a chap do the building of PC's for me, but I've lost contact with him. I'm a bit of a scaredy-HAB to do it myself.
                How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Or try Overclockers value stuff, http://www.overclockers.co.uk/produc...ategoryid=1078

Full PC for very little and a lot quicker than your current setup. Copy of Win 7 on one of those and jobs a goodun'

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
                    Buy a new one.
                    I agree. Everything will be better. Hard disk will be better. Processor will be better. Graphics card will be better, etc. etc.
                    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                    X