• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What mail client for Win 7?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What mail client for Win 7?

I'm now using Windows 7 as my main working platform and its lovely bar one thing, no mail client.

When i'd installed it, i was scratching my head trying to find the email program on it, obviously in vain because there aint one.

I followed the link it gave and downloaded the Live Mail app and whilst it works fine, i don't like it. Interface seems too 'spread out' and i'm not seeing as much info on screen as i got with Windows Mail.

I use Thunderbird on my Mac but don't particularly like that either so what's the nicest mail client?

Thunderbird might be worth a look. Haven't used it myself but I hear it's popular.
    Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

I too dislike Thunderbird.

Have you looked at the mail functionality of Opera? Disclaimer - I don't use it for mail myself but have seen it mentioned a few times as an alternative for Windows 7 users.
      Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
        Have you looked at the mail functionality of Opera?
        Hadn't heard of that, but seems like it may be worth a look: http://www.opera.com/mail/

Anyone used Eudora?

Why did they pull Windows Mail? I liked it and couldn't see anything wrong with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Durbs View Post
          Hadn't heard of that, but seems like it may be worth a look: http://www.opera.com/mail/

Anyone used Eudora?

Why did they pull Windows Mail? I liked it and couldn't see anything wrong with it.
          What springs to mind is that they want you to buy Office, though it might be part of this EU and MSIE malarkey.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
            What springs to mind is that they want you to buy Office, though it might be part of this EU and MSIE malarkey.
            Yeah, i thought they were pulling IE in the final release too so was intrigued as to how i was going to get on the net to download a browser, assumed they'd include a browser-lite to enable you to get a real browser but the sods left IE and nicked the mail instead.

Comment

Microsoft wants you to use Live Mail, as the whole Live thing is a core part of their strategy. Remember, it's not your OS: it belongs to Microsoft, and you will do things their way, whatever your own wishes might be:

Windows Live general manager Brian Hall said Microsoft made the decision to remove the tools from Windows for several reasons, including a desire to issue new operating system releases more quickly than it has in the past. The move also removes the confusion of offering and supporting two different programs that perform essentially similar functions.

"It makes it much cleaner," Hall said.

Lastly, he said, making the Windows Live tools completely separate from the operating system paves the way for Microsoft to work selectively with specific partners.

"It makes it much cleaner" is, I believe, Microsoft's officially approved way of saying "Fsck you."

Comment

Yeah, i thought they were pulling IE in the final release too so was intrigued as to how i was going to get on the net to download a browser, assumed they'd include a browser-lite to enable you to get a real browser but the sods left IE and nicked the mail instead.
                See Nick's reply (and my answer) over here. At the mo' IE 8 will ship with the UK version of Windows 7.

Comment

Working...
                X